Couple tint questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewbieVet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey yall,

Couple questions

1) If my back window tint is factory, what % is it at? I need to know cause when I get a quote on the tint work I need to be able to tell them whether i'm getting the whole thing done or just the front. If the factory is the legal limit that means I'm just getting the front done!

2) Did windshield tint strips go out with the BeeGees back in the 70s or what? I'd like to get it done, but I don't want to look too "trailer" if you know what I mean!!!

3) If I go past the legal limit on tint (I think it's 35% in the rear and 20% in the front for FL) how likely am I to get ticketed? Are there cops out there actually watching for this? Also, I assume if I DID get the entire windshield tinted I'd be begging for trouble, right?

Cheers,

J

Tigster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
get the whole truck done, the stock glass is just tinted and provides no UV protection. I did legal tint all the way around. The fronts are slightly lighter than the backs but I dont mind. If you put the windshield strip on (I have mine done) it helps keep light out of the truck and helps the fronts look a little darker while staying legal.

I would take a pic, but my wife took my truck to work today.

Quick edit: I am in Florida too the tint all the way around REALLY helps keep it cooler during the summer in the parking lot.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
usually close to factory is 20% tint.... windshield strips are still cool... I need one... and far as legal issues I really cant talk for FL... I know in NY they would stop you in a second for the windshield... but 50-50 for other tint... depending on what town you are in.. or if they need probable cause to stop you... I know Solismo is a cop in FL... might wanna ask him

Tigster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you will get pulled over 100% with a tinted windshield here in Fl, ask how I know.....

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you will get pulled over 100% with a tinted windshield here in Fl, ask how I know.....

did solisimo pull you over? haha same with cali. if you have any tint on the windshield or too dark side driver and passenger you get a nice little ticket.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tempered glass (or glass in general, I suppose) will absorb/filter some or most UV radiation. Learned that in physics :p

1) Either way, stock tint is 18%, so usually 20% will be enough to match your fronts to your rears. Some people will recommend doing 15% in the fronts, since all the light coming in from the windshield will make the fronts look a little lighter.

Front limit is 27 or 28 percent VLC. Don't remember the rear and back window limits, though I think it's pretty low.

2) I didn't bother with mine since mine (and yours?) have that blue gradient above the AS1 line that serves the same purpose as tint.

3) I can kinnda see why one would tint their windshield, especially in FL. I know on the F150 forum, I've read of 50% and 35%. Both affect night time driving visibility (especially 35%).

Why do you want to tint your windshield? If for heat, I know my friend used Lumar Air 80 (ceramic tint) all around, including windshield, and you can't notice it's tinted. But, driving into the sun, you pretty much can't feel the heat coming in. It's pretty cool.

As far as I know, tint is a secondary offense (or w/e you call them), which means they can't pull you over for it specifically. Now, if you happen to be caught speeding, or a broken bulb, or w/e, then they can issue a ticket.

Not sure if this applies to windshield tint since I could see that being a safety issue, especially 35%.

Either way, I haven't really been bothered for my "illegal" front tint (matched to stock). Don't think most cops care around here. I'm guessing it's understandable to have tint here in FL, though I'm sure they appreciate it when you roll down your windows if pulled over (I always do).