Cracked trim around gear selector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff b

Reaction score
I bought a 2015 Expedition XLT EL recently with 32K miles on it and there is some cracking around the gear selector. I would like to fixed it but when I called the dealership they said the trim was part of the gear shifter and you have to buy the whole assembly which is around $150. Has anyone had this same problem and know of a easy fix? Also are there any aftermarket upgrades for the console trim or shifter?

Thanks
IMG_3874.JPG

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i bet an industrious person could make a new plastic piece
somebody really beat the crap out the shifter area

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with PB.....removing the cover will probably reveal what needs to be done and rubber sheet goods are cheap. A phone call to the vendor to explain what you need might be in order since they will know the softness and bendability of their products better than you will looking at a picture....

jeff

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pop it off

Weld it back with a soldering iron or plastic glue and filler

Sand it back smooth

Vinyl wrap it

Linksvu

Reaction score
Anyone figure this out? I too would like to replace this part on my 2016 but it does not look obvious as to how.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Look for a cheap replacement on ebay. You'll need the whole shifter, but they're sometimes ones for $40. A junk yard's probably half that price.

If that doesn't suit you, take it apart, smooth out the slide and cover it with a flexible vinyl sticker, like contact paper or signmaker's vinyl.