Craigslist Scam - 03 EB for $2,200

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Starman

Reaction score
I was cruising the Tampa Craigslist yesterday when I came across a sweet looking 2003 Expy EB for $2187. The pics look great, but not much info given. No location, no mileage, not even if it was 4x4. So, I emailed them at [email protected].

Thinking this was too good to be true, I asked for more details. Here is my original email:

Just saw your add on Craigslist.
How many miles on it?
Can you email me the VIN?
Where you located?

I got this response back:

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my ad. I'm in a hurry to find a buyer because I have a family emergency and I need to sell it asap. My name is Barbara. I'm an Air Force in Alabama. Absolutely immaculate 2003 Ford Expedition!! This Ford has been incredibly well maintained both mechanically and cosmetically! Rear Air Conditioning,3rd Row Seat (8 Pass) Transmission: Automatic, Mileage 74,984, Engine: 5.4L V8, Drivetrain: 4X4

It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $2,187.00 If you want to buy this SUV I will take care of shipping. Shipping will be door to door, to your home address and I will offer 5 days to inspect the SUV from the moment you receive it (and the option to accept or reject the truck on my expense), before I'll have your money. So if you need further information please get back to me as soon as possible.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Sgt. Barbara Thompson

Now I know this is a total scam, but she already has my email address, so I'm gonna play along for a bit longer...keep in mind I am a LEO.

I send back:

Ok, sounds good. Give me the Vin so I can carfax it.

Thanks

Well about 18 hours had passed, so I figured they gave up, untill about an hour ago I get this:

Hi again,

As I've told you, at this moment I am in Dothan, Alabama in a military base. I do a special training program each day and I am not allowed to get out of the unit or call whenever I want. The reason I'm selling this SUV way below market value, is because I would like to help ease the burden of my sisters medical expenses, which she has acquired due to a serious illness.

The shipping will take 3 to 5 days and it’s not a problem because I will have the SUV shipped by an Air Force cargo plane so there won't be any additional shipping costs. Also I will arrange for a truck to transport the truck to your home address. You will receive it along with all the documents including title, bill of sale, 2 set of keys, full service records and more. Because it is a large transaction, we will complete the deal only using an authorized third part like eBay because I already prearranged the whole process with them. The truck is located in their warehouse in Dothan (sealed and ready for delivery). The money must be sent first to an eBay agent and will be kept safe until the buyer receives and inspects the SUV. I will offer a 5-day period to inspect the SUV from the moment you receive it (and the option to accept or reject the SUV on my expense), before I'll have your money. I think this is more than fair for both of us.

Here is a link to the SUV photo gallery: FREE eBay image gallery | JPEGbay.com

If you are still interested just send me YOUR FULL NAME, SHIPPING ADDRESS(Street Name and Number, City, Zip Code) and Phone Number: (Home,Mobile,Office). I will forward your info to eBay and they will notify you about our deal. They will let you know what you have to do for the payment. Like this you'll be able to talk directly with them and ask all you want to know.

Thank you!!

I looked at the photo gallery and the vehicle is beautiful. So I ask myself, how do people far for this shit.

Then I got on F150online and saw this thread, (searched here first, but nothing like this came up) Scams on Craigslist.... - F150online Forums. Sound familiar.

Not sure how to respond, but I think we as a whole, should jam her/his email with questions about the Expy.

I'll try to think of something crafty to,send back and keep you guys advised.

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I came across one similar in my area. A white 03 expy, super clean for 2100. I texted the number and get a reply from a chick named heather. Asked her some questions, got a similar reply to yours, asked another about work they did and no reply... Then a few days later my cell virus program detects a virus... Imbedded in my sms program files and it can't be deleted or quarantined. No updates, no new apps... I see a post about a week later by someone else calling out the scam, citing the same number I texted... Gotta love craigslist.

catmandu

Reaction score
Man, that is a tired script they are following, got almost identical replies when I first started looking on CL for some car deals four years ago. Taught me pretty fast to ignore the too-good-to-be-true deals with nice photos.

Last edited:

sensfan32

Reaction score
I had inquired about an absurdly low price on a 2003 F350 quad Cab 7.3 Diesel, they were asking 3250. "Amanda" replied she was on a military base as well. Seems that is the standard scam. I feel the saying "If it is too good to be true it is" fits perfectly when looking for a vehicle.

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw one like this in wa but it was a 2009 f150 crew cab for 2100. I didnt bite but my nabor did and tried calling and it was a girl too on a military base

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they really think someone is going to fall for them being in the army and having an air force cargo plane ship it to ppl??? smh

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
But its a female in the military and she just needs the cash to help her desperately ill sister!!

:bawl:

:boxed:

:hmm:

:Violin:

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea if craigslist involves shipping 99%+ of the time it's a scam. I've seen multiple and they try and scam people selling on there as well. I have gotten good deals on craigslist but you have to be able to go out and physically see the thing for yourself. I've bought 7 vehicles off craigslist so it works but I've also past up some because sometimes people don't list all the issues with the vehicle.

OP
OP
Starman

Starman

Reaction score
Here's my latest reply...

I'm not to far from Dothan, anyway I can take a look at it. I'm an over the road truck driver and my route runs through the southeast region. I could save you the shipping cost and give me an opportunity to check it out. I have cash on hand to make a quick deal.

It's been over 24 hours, I haven't heard back...

I can't stand thieves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman