Dash Comp??? Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Senatordan

Reaction score
I have an 05 XLT. The other day when I pulled my dash off to install a Pioneer Avic Z2, I noticed that where the switches for the pedal (I think???) and the dash comp (mileage, total trip, etc) were the wires going to the dummy switches (plastic covers). Now the question....Can I purchase the switch for the dash and plug them in to the wire harness and have the dash comp work? Seems to me if they put the wires there, it is connected to something? Any help or advice would be great, thanks in advance.

mustangswan

Reaction score
A lot of times there are extra connector to things that the truck might have that were options that were not ordered on the truck. Older mustangs and some focus's had fog light wiring in the harness but did not have the switch or the lights. If you bought a swtich, lights and installed fuses they would work. You would have to know what the switches were for and install the correct item at the other end of the wiring.

bubbadabulldawg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just installed the same unit in my 03 XLT and found the harness that go to the message center buttons, so I ordered the buttons from the local stealership, came in today installed it while in the lot and nothing happens the buttons only light up! $65.00 for the switch and it doesn't do anything. I don't know if it is a different cluster which is over $300 or if there is something the dealer can configure by plugging the truck into something and unlocking it or if i need to order some other part.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing myself but i know the gauge cluster's message center has a bigger display. I think you need one of those to make the package work.... I just bought a scangauge from linear logic which gives me instant fuel economy now so I really don't need the MPG gauge in the cluster now...

Matt R

T-pole

Reaction score
How do you like the Pioneer Z2? I have a 99 expedition (won't fit!) but will be upgrading to a new truck soon, and am really looking into this head unit. Any negatives about it, and how hard was the install?

Thanks

bubbadabulldawg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by T-pole
How do you like the Pioneer Z2? I have a 99 expedition (won't fit!) but will be upgrading to a new truck soon, and am really looking into this head unit. Any negatives about it, and how hard was the install?

Thanks
I like it alot you can do a 2 wire bypass that would let you put in a location while moving and also let the front passenger watch a dvd while the vechicle is in motion( which the driver should not be watching while moving!). I found out that Panasonic has a unit that is identical to the z2 for around $1300 CN-NVD905U, compare the 2. I bought my z2 through Amazon for $1200 plus ship. You can reuse the factory radio bracket just need to drill a hole on the side for a mounting screw along with the plastic center guide piece with a piece os strap so it is supported in the back.

As for the message center I bought a used cluster with 34000 miles on ebay fror $150 and it now works giving me my mpg and also info on the general status of the engine, charging, washer fluid level, miles to empty, etc.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by bubbadabulldawg
As for the message center I bought a used cluster with 34000 miles on ebay fror $150 and it now works giving me my mpg and also info on the general status of the engine, charging, washer fluid level, miles to empty, etc.

So if you replace the cluster and add the buttons you will get all of the information properly?

Matt R