Dash Defaults to Trailer info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas Warden

Reaction score
I just added the Ford (OEM) Electric Trailer Brake to my 2019 Expedition XLT. After installing, I took it to my Ford Dealership and had FordScan ran on it so the vehicle would recognize it. It works great. However, every time I start the Expedition, the Dash information defaults to the trailer menu/info instead of where I normally have it set to MPH. Again, this WITHOUT the trailer being hooked up (normal everyday driving). I’ve tried everything I know to get it to default to MPH without any luck. Anyone have this problem and/or know how to cure it? I’d appreciate any info on this because it is really becoming aggravating. Thanks in advance to any comments or help with this issue.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This came up in a few other threads, but I can't remember which ones. Maybe the "Ford are you listening?" thread? Anyways, the short answer is go down in the trailer menu and select "No Trailer". If a trailer is still "selected" it will default to the towing screen. And you will have to do this after every time you tow (although some claim it deselects the trailer if you disconnect while running, but I haven't been able to figure out the magic sequence yet).

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My first Gen Raptor and my 13’ Superduty would clear the trailer settings after the trailer was unplugged. You would get a warning that the trailer was disconnected and when you pressed OK it was clear. The trailer you had selected would stop counting mileage. My 16’ F-150 and my 19’ Expy keep tracking trailer mileage even if it tells you the trailer has been unplugged. You have to manually go to the selected trailer and pick No Trailer. It drives me crazy they took a step backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is correct. Key point is that the Expy needs to be running when you unplug the trailer...

Then will it stop counting mileage on the trailer? Seems kinda strange they would want you to leave the truck running while you unhooked the trailer.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Then will it stop counting mileage on the trailer? Seems kinda strange they would want you to leave the truck running while you unhooked the trailer.

Yea, and don't forget about the tailgate opening while you're back there disconnecting the trailer. lol

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, and don't forget about the tailgate opening while you're back there disconnecting the trailer. lol

Thanks, I will try it. That is the only time the tailgate will open without the button or fob [emoji23]