Dead starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Notmyidi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Besides unhooking the neg cable is bs, if the positive cable touches ground it will still short out or if you touch the cable then ground it will still soark
Ground as in anything else metal on the vehicle

The starter ground itself through its mounting surface to the block

Your neg cable goes from the batter to a body ground, then a frame ground the. To a bolt on the block

Positive has a lead to both sides of the fender solenoid, a big and small to the starter and a 6 gauge to distribution and alternator
Unhook the positive when checking connections, unhook both if your ohming out a wire or you'll be buying 26.00 dmm fuse

sent from my mind via of telepathy

Last edited:
OP
OP
JTKustoms

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys, I checked out the fender solenoid and that seems to be functioning fine, my ignition switch seems fine, so basically narrows it down to wires and the starter itself. For those of you who have replaced one on these trucks before...how should I go about doing it and what special stuff will I need. I know it's a simple bolt/unbolt repair, but after attempting it today I have no idea how to reach the bolt with the exhaust manifold right there or the top one that I can't even see

Notmyidi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you jump the solenois, did the engine crank

sent from my mind via of telepathy

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

tsgrpr97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
100% with all the suggestions. But always start @ the problem and work your way up.
So, rip and replace the starter find out that's not the problem rip and replace the solenoid > that's not the problem and so on till you're lucky enough to replace what is wrong. Or start upstream, spend 5 minutes verifying everything in line is functioning, then you can be sure of the problem and not assume.

After a while you learn the value of a couple minutes testing vs stabbing in the dark.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, rip and replace the starter find out that's not the problem rip and replace the solenoid > that's not the problem and so on till you're lucky enough to replace what is wrong. Or start upstream, spend 5 minutes verifying everything in line is functioning, then you can be sure of the problem and not assume.

After a while you learn the value of a couple minutes testing vs stabbing in the dark.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

No.. take the starter out TEST first takes 20 minutes, never said replace it. If the starter is fine than start chasing wires and solenoids.. The smart thing there is a 2 for 1 you can also check the BG while you are taking the starter off. so that would just the leave the 12v wire and the solenoid. Its been what? 2 days 3? since this thread started and he just now got to the starter really? You said spend 5 minutes on checking wiring, relays, solenoids the day it takes 5 minutes to check wiring issues is when we grow wings and fly. But it is what it is. we all have our own methods to work on our stuff, for me its get the main issue checked first cause if it barks like a dog, walks like a dog, licks its balls like a dog.. Guess what, its a dog. I saved myself a days trouble

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
why would you take the starter out, go get it tested, find your answer for good,bad,otherwise, back home, install starter, then check wires only to possibly find ANOTHER weak link in the chain, so it's back in the car, back through the traffic, back through the line at the parts counter, for a stupid piece that you could have gotten while you were there the first time if you would have spent that first 20 minutes doing "routine checks" instead of just jumping all over removing parts from your truck.

my advice is to work smart and not hard, if the truck is acting up just push it off a cliff and go buy another one. then there's no more issue to check.

on a personal note, I am no mechanic. but it stands to reason that if you just spend a few minutes looking at wires and where they connect (which is easy since he knows what FEW wires to follow) give them a wiggle and torque check, if it falls apart in your hand then you've saved yourself from laying on your back and going through the process of removing the starter. (I know, it happened to me)

It is most likely (to Exia's credit) that the starter is indeed bad, looks smells and licks etc.
but just in case it's either A: not or B: a simple loose nut
I think just the piece of mind of knowing is worth the little effort needed to put in to know for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JTKustoms

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone, I borrowed the proper tools today from my neighbor and was able to get the starter out. Brought it down to autozone to be tested and sure enough it was totally dead. Picked up a new one and put it back in and everything works great. Overall I didn't think it was too difficult once I got the right tools to work with

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does that starter have a replacement solenoid for it?

Autozone would love to sell you a replacement starter instead of a $20 solenoid.

What's the warranty \ return policy? Is this new or rebuilt?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition