2010 Expedition, starting issues. Starter replaced twice, need next culprit...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This thread has given me a few more things to check. I'm having a similar issue with my 2011 XLT.

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the ignition starter part. Simple job, $38 for the Motorcraft original and about 20 min of my time. Been down with the flu so I haven't been driving much but I did 8 start/stops and drove it one day to work and so far no problems. I'm hoping that was the problem, but jury is out till I get more driving time.

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ugh, issue just happened again. Turn the key, nothing, turn off, turn the key, nothing, turn off. Turn the key, starter grinds, turn off, turn the key, starts up. 4 more tries, starts each time.

Could be any of the before mentioned issues I guess. Corroded cable. Starter Relays. Anti-theft. Or perhaps the tolerances of the key cylinder as well. I replaced the ignition switch but it relies on the key cylinder making a good insert and turn into it.

Frustrating as I can't trust my vehicle. Can't take the camper, boat or anything for fear of getting stuck.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ugh, issue just happened again. Turn the key, nothing, turn off, turn the key, nothing, turn off. Turn the key, starter grinds, turn off, turn the key, starts up. 4 more tries, starts each time.

Could be any of the before mentioned issues I guess. Corroded cable. Starter Relays. Anti-theft. Or perhaps the tolerances of the key cylinder as well. I replaced the ignition switch but it relies on the key cylinder making a good insert and turn into it.

Frustrating as I can't trust my vehicle. Can't take the camper, boat or anything for fear of getting stuck.

Did you remove and clean the battery terminal connectors and battery posts with a battery terminal / post cleaner brush tool?

It still sounds (from afar) like a battery with a bad cell or a cable issue.

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you remove and clean the battery terminal connectors and battery posts with a battery terminal / post cleaner brush tool?

It still sounds (from afar) like a battery with a bad cell or a cable issue.
Yeah, cleaned terminals. I'll have to figure out my next move. I would like to change out the key cylinder to remove that from the list but not sure if I want to try or let a dealer do it.

Johnathan M

Reaction score
On my 05 expedition, the starter relay was in the passenger foot well on the right side below the dash. There was a cover that popped off and you could get to the relays. If you turn the key and you hear it click over there, then the relay is probably working. You could also swap a couple relays since they are basically the same thing. That's a quick, easy, and free check to eliminate the relay possibility.

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 05 expedition, the starter relay was in the passenger foot well on the right side below the dash. There was a cover that popped off and you could get to the relays. If you turn the key and you hear it click over there, then the relay is probably working. You could also swap a couple relays since they are basically the same thing. That's a quick, easy, and free check to eliminate the relay possibility.
The problem is I can't reliably recreate the issue. So if it happens and I go to test a relay it may start again and the issue is not happening for a few days.

Johnathan M

Reaction score
The problem is I can't reliably recreate the issue. So if it happens and I go to test a relay it may start again and the issue is not happening for a few days.
Next time it won't start, listen for that click when you turn the key front. I know, it's really frustrating when a problem is intermittent. I have had issues like that as well.

Stemo

Reaction score
So this sounds like my 2000 Ford Expedition started doing! Bloody hell, changed starter, solenoid, fuel pump, the usual culprits, had car electrician pulling my ECU ... nope it's as @JamaicaJoe says !!

Coolant leak, fully frozen open injectors, burning oil, that's the freeky stuff of just head gaskets going out and curing too late. Had just changed oil and got 2 or more liters of gasoline in the engine oil again after just trying to start my poor Expedition again. So I am up for an overhaul ...

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: This gremlin still eludes me. 2 shops, 4 starters, starter relay, new battery and an ignition switch later and no fix. This latest incident was on vacation where I towed the camper down to the Keys. Used the car for several days no issue. Then randomly was getting some bait and nothing. No crank, no alerts, nothing. Tried 20 times, nothing. Was kind of relieved that the issue was really showing and maybe I could get to a shop with issue displaying. Was about to call AAA and figured one more turn and of course it starts right up. Back to the campsite it does it again. Leave it a while, try later and it cranks up.

Was able to make it home and took it to the last shop that replaced the last starter under Napa warranty. They had the truck 3 days and of course it declined to show itself. They say they've checked the wires so I'm at a loss. These guys have been great though and not charging me for these diagnostics.

This really stinks. If I can't trust the truck I can't tow anywhere of distance for fear it'll rear it's head at an inopportune time like the gas station with trailer in tow. Guess I could take it to a Ford dealer and see if they have any knowledge of something like this, but I'm afraid the issue will not happen and I'll just pay for their time.