Differences in Expedition Generations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerN

Reaction score
I'm currently arguing with a friend, so I'm hoping some experts (you guys) can clear things up. He says that Ford has only changed minor things between the first and current generations. Mostly body and interior parts that can swap from one generation to the next. To me, the contours of every body panel look different between each generation. The glass is the only thing that looks like it would swap.

Here's an e-mail he sent me:

I think all the removable panels are a smidge different, but the body itself
is the exact same. Doors: 90% the same, new handles and trim. Hood: 90% the same, changes at the front allow for new grill. Rear hatch: 95% same, new trim and maybe new handle. Windows: 100% the same. Not one line has changed. It even still has a split window in the rear doors.

Can anyone settle this? I'll send him the link, even if I'm wrong.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your friend is an idiot. Sure, they are still a 4 door fill size suv. Just like a chevy suburban is still a full size 4 door suv.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The closest generations are the second and third gens. Someone on here swapped the third gen front clip onto a second gen. I think the hardest part was swapping the radiator support. As for first to third, yeah, he's not very smart. Rounded body style to squared off body style. And that's just the outside.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rear tailgate on 3rd wont fit on any other...ford went from 3v to 2v engines...front bumber lines up but you have to buy the hood for the swap to work cause the hoods dont swap from 2nd to 3rd gens...1st gen doors are different...5-lug to 6 lug...2nd gens to present have independent rear suspension...GEM only on 1st gen...so what if it has split windows...ur friend has made it obvious that he doesnt have a business mind...makes no sense to increase cost production...which would mean increase in cost to the buyer...

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i've owned both first and second gen expys. As stated before 1st gen more rounded body style. Wheels went from 5lug(1st gen) to 6 lug(2nd 3rd gen). 1st gen solid rear axle 2nd 3rd gen Independent rear suspension. Midway through 2nd gen went to 3v heads. With modification you can make different gens front ends fit on other gens.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f51/my-99-expo-eb-rebuild-6444/

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? That's surprising. I've been behind a lot of second gens and the door likes the same as mine. I know that doesn't mean it is the same.

i thought the same...there was someone on here who had a 2nd gen and needed to replace his tailgate and asked the same question...he got it and it didnt fit due to the 3rd gen bottom corners being straight edged and the 2nd gens are rounded on the bottom corners...bad fit right at the bottom in the corners only

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to go look at mine until I remembered it's at the dealer. I miss my truck.