Different Styles of Blue Ox Sway Control Models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattyMMA

Reaction score
Help Friends,

I want to go with Blue Ox sway control model. I've seen the ads etc with the chain that curves back over and locks.

I found what i thought was the same model, lightly used for sale, but when i looked at it, it used a different frame clamp, lifted chain straight up, but had a 'C' clamp that attached to it after the chain was u?? Looking online this is not the round bar weight distribution

Did earlier Blue Ox sway models use a different frame clamp? Could i expect the same sway control from this older model? It's the 1000lb tongue weight 10000lb model. My camper is 7700# GVW, 6600# dry.

I know people like the equilizer 4 point hitch, and others, but wanted the blue ox supposedly for quiet operation. Looking for help on what i'm seeing vs what i'm expecting.

Thanks,

Mattblueoxfound.jpg blueoxexpected.jpg

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks like it is only 2 point friction sway could control since the chains only help distribute weight but provide no sway control. The pivots at the hitch head give you friction sway control provided you load them with enough weight on the bars. An equalizer or husky centerline (what I'm using) provide 4 point friction sway and have Brackets the bars slide on at the trailer tongue. Mine is very quiet, it only made noise the first couple sharp turns before the powder coat rubbed off which is normal.

OP
OP
MattyMMA

MattyMMA

Reaction score
But can anyone tell me the difference? Is the top one the older model?

OP
OP
MattyMMA

MattyMMA

Reaction score
Ok, so i got ahold of the Blue OX, the Top model is slightly older, maybe 2000 timeframe. The bottom picture is the newer model.

The side clamp limits sway of the chains, the friction heads, the angle and design of the bars also limit sway. I don't really have anything negative about the Equilizer E4 but just heard some stories of issues with really tight turns, and backing into my driveway is basically a 90 turn.

Will be doing my setup and adjustments this weekend and doing a little haul to test it out.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With an e4 or similiar setup, If you mount your trailer tongue Brackets too far back, it is possible for the weight/friction bar on one side to slide forward and pop out.

dzldoc

Reaction score
I have had one for several years now. I wouldn't have anything else. I have ran other brands in the past. None of them as smooth or as quiet as the blue ox. I think it is a must with the independent rear suspension. Eliminated all sway problems. Hard crosswinds are not a problem anymore. Zero problems with tight turns or backing if you follow the instructions on setup.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the Blue Ox WD hitch for my travel trailer in 2016. I've been mostly happy with it - it definitely helps control sway. But, there are some disadvantages. I have the rotating clamp that you show in your second picture. The first issue is that the chain is just large enough to bind between the center pin that the clamp rotates on, and the other face. When you try to release it, you have to push hard and then it snaps out violently. Annoying but not a deal killer.
The second issue is a bit more concerning. On one trip I was in a pull through site that curved, and my truck was at an angle to the trailer - maybe 15 degrees? With the rotating clamps that puts a strong torque on the clamp. Well, I managed to need 3 stitches above my eye after getting smacked with the handle... I now make sure I'm straight when I disconnect the WD bars, and I'm careful about staying out of the way. I would prefer the other design to be honest, but I'd have to relocate the propane shelf to make that work...
I did contact the mfr so they're aware of the issues.

dzldoc

Reaction score
IvI' had the same problem with the chains catching on the pins. I use the Jack to lift the hitch until the chains no longer have tension on them then I can rotate them by hand. Haven't used the tool in a long time. And yes you have to be straight when hooking or unhooking so the chains are straight under the latch.