Differential/Trans Breathers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It would be very difficult to do it incorrectly. I'd be more concerned about getting water in the bulkhead connector, hubs and all the other stuff that's down low and not designed for submersion.

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what you want to do is pretty much find a rubber hose that will fit over the breather nipple. You want it long enough to mount it as high as you want. I’m not sure about the stock ones on your generation but on the first gens i think they go into the frame rails.

You do not want to put breather caps on the end because as you drive the components will heat up and once you hit water they will cool rapidly and the pressure difference will suck that cap close, however the components will still need to breath and they will start sucking air through other seals such as axle seals. Thoughts seals are meant to keep fluid in not out.

ChrisRCNY

Reaction score
The biggest plus of relocating the breather is that it won't **** in water when the sudden cooling of a hot case drops the internal pressure. Ideally, the breather would be pressurized to 1-3psi, to keep water out, and vented the rest of the time. Even with that, there's still the risk of wheel bearings getting contaminated.

When I spent a lot of my free time fixing m35a2's and an m109a3, the best part about adding the fording kit and plumbing all the breathers into a manifold was getting rid of the breathers, .mil ones liked to fail if you didn't do regular checks, and overpressurize an axle until a weak seal blew.