Do I have ESC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I need to replace the master cylinder of my mom's 2004. I went to O'Reilly last night and I guess they sell two different types of master cylinder, one with Electronic Stability Control, and one without. I would imagine it would have ESC, but it is an XLT so it might not. Anyone know what to look for in order to tell?

Thanks in advance.

B

bedrck46

Try ford etis enter vin number and check what was on the expy when built may be a long shot but worth a try

B

bedrck46

maybe this will help

Anti-Lock Control
The four wheel anti-lock brake system (4WABS) with traction control and stability assist system consists of the following components:

active brake booster with integral solenoid
brake booster release switch
front wheel speed sensors
front wheel speed sensor indicators
hydraulic control unit (HCU)
stability assist event indicator
ABS module
lateral accelerometer (part of accelerometer)
rear wheel speed sensors
rear wheel speed sensor indicators
steering wheel position sensor
two brake pressure transducers
Advance Trac®/stability assist switch
yaw rate sensor (part of accelerometer)
roll rate sensor (part of accelerometer)
yellow anti-lock brake warning indicator

AskMeLater

Reaction score
I had the same question about my 03 EB, so I did some research and found the following: (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Basically, if you have AdvanceTrac, then you have both ESC (electronic stability control) and TCS (traction control system). Ergo, if you don't have AdvanceTrac, then you don't have ESC or TCS. It's both or nothing.

Easiest way to tell if you have AdvanceTrac? Look for the badge on the tail gate, or look for the disable button which is between the cup holders on the center console. If you have the button, you have it. If you don't, you don't.

Also, don't confuse AdvanceTrac with ControlTrac, which is a 4x4 control feature.

Hope this helps. And again, if anybody finds error in my statement, corrections are always welcome for the benefit of all. Thank you.

On a side note, my 03 EB 4x4 does not have AdvanceTrac :frown: but it does have ControlTrac :smile:

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you read wikipedia it leads me to believe that ESC was first introduced as an option with the 2nd generation expeditions.

Ford Expedition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can tell you without a doubt my 2000 XLT does not have it. I have fishtailed mine with no signs of stability control kicking in.

Electronic stability control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its designed to keep the vehicle in line as far as steering input. Keeps you from loosing control from over or under steer. It will apply brakes to individual wheels in a manner that keeps you traveling in the direction the steering wheel is commanding.

It was one of the biggest complaints from enthusiast for the 2010 taurus sho when it came out. With out the ability to disable it kept you from 'drifting' or otherwise sliding the vehicle intentionally. Later models came out with a method to disable ESC for 'off road use'. :)

EDIT: Just got that it was for your mom's 2004 expy...:facepalm:

Last edited:
OP
OP
FordandPolaris

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha thanks guys. Its ok Tom, it was Monday... I also have done my own Stability Control testing in my 97 and it definitely is a primitive system :flamingdevil:

What Askmelater said though makes sense. She does not have a button for disabling the Advancetrac feature or the badge. I will read the owners manual a bit because sometimes they list in there how to determine if you have those features or not. It didn't mention much on ESC so who knows. I will go with the non ESC master first and see how she goes.

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

looking at the wiring diagram there should be a switch for the traction control located drivers side dash

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
AdvanceTrac electronic stability control (ESC) was first introduced in 2002 for the 2003 Expedition (U222) as a paid option. I think it was around $700 USD. As it was purely an option, and not standard, not all second-generation Expedition’s will have it.

In 2005, AdvanceTrac ESC gained a secondary function; roll stability control (RSC).

AdvanceTrac ESC with RSC was made standard equipment on every third-generation 2007-present Expedition (except Fleet prep Expeditions for limousine duty).

No first-generation 1997-2002 Expedition (UN93) has it. They have four-wheel, three-sensor, three-channel ABS. That’s all.

To tell if your Expedition has AdvanceTrac ESC or AdvanceTrac ESC with RSC, check the center console (for 2003-2006 Expeditions) or the top/side of the center dash stack (2007-present Expeditions) for the button with "sliding car" icon. That is the AdvanceTrac cancellation button and indicates you have ESC or ESC with RSC.

Some Expedition’s will have a "AdvanceTrac" or "AdvanceTrac with RSC" badged on the liftgate, but after 2008 the badge was removed in place of the "Flex Fuel" badge, but those Expedition still have ESC with RSC.

Note:

If you have AdvanceTrac ESC or AdvanceTrac ESC with RSC, you also have electronic traction control (brake differential locking control).

Two-wheel drives get two-wheel electronic traction control, while four-wheel drives get four-wheel electronic traction control.

When Four Low mode is selected, AdvanceTrac is shut down, but four-wheel electronic traction control (brake differential locking control) will always continue to function.

Last edited: