Do I need a steering stabilizer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adkinsc20

Reaction score
So, I replaced the upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods and sway bar linkage on both sides about 7 months or so ago. Now it feels like every time I hit a bump or pothole my expy wants to drive itself off the road or into oncoming traffic. It also seems to want to drift left or right at highway speeds. I did a redneck alignment as everything i changed was so badly worn that it probably wouldn't have made it to a shop.

Would my alignment job cause this or do I just need to add a steering stabilizer? Or could it be the steering box? I've had to lube up the knuckle on the steering column several times also, it really should be replaced though. There's not any clunks or other noise from the front end while driving or going over bumps into potholes.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take it to a shop and have it professionally aligned .... then take it for a test drive ....

OP
OP
adkinsc20

adkinsc20

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick input Ham, I've been thinking about taking it in, just wanted to see if anyone thought it could be anything else first.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also if you're getting a clicking from either of the back corners when you do early morning turn to the right or left it's most likely the rear lower ball joints (bushings actually...). They turn soft after ten years or so, and give off a clicking in sharp turns when they're cold. You have to press them out with a bushing kit and press the new ones in.

This kit has the sizes you need for the rear bushings (ball joints).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-...m=401673656453&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

OP
OP
adkinsc20

adkinsc20

Reaction score
Figured I'd post an update just in case others might think they can save a few bucks and get by doing an alignment themselves. Save your time and have a shop do it. Had it done professionally and the front end feels better than it did when we got it a few years ago. Thanks again @Hamfisted for the sage advice and saving the wifes nerves lol