Do I need new struts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hwystr1

Reaction score
It's a 2010 XLT, 2 WD with the HD tow option. I helped my buddy pick up his flooring order, total weight with passengers was 1820 pounds, most over the rear axel. The truck sagged about 2-3 inches in the rear. It drove fine at 70 MPH highway speeds for 20 miles. The tires are always correctly inflated. It has 121,*** on the clock, I am the second owner and I am reasonably sure the struts/coils have never been replaced. It rides fine when daily driving with just me in it. I don't tow anything with it. So is the 2-3 inch drop reasonable for that amount of weight, and should I replace the struts (all 4) because of the age/mileage?

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No...don't replace them. 1820 minus the passengers since alot of weight was over the rear axle, I'd say leave it alone! 2 to 3 " sag isn't bad.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it rode ok then I wouldn't fret about it. When you do eventually replace them I recommend pretty much anything but Motorcraft. I just put Bilsteins on in back and though I haven't put many miles on them, they ride better than stock and it's unlikely they'll blow out any faster (30K on my last MC shock before it blew and the truck never towed anything).

OP
OP
hwystr1

hwystr1

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I will hold off on replacing the struts for now.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a 2010 XLT, 2 WD with the HD tow option. I helped my buddy pick up his flooring order, total weight with passengers was 1820 pounds, most over the rear axel. The truck sagged about 2-3 inches in the rear. It drove fine at 70 MPH highway speeds for 20 miles. The tires are always correctly inflated. It has 121,*** on the clock, I am the second owner and I am reasonably sure the struts/coils have never been replaced. It rides fine when daily driving with just me in it. I don't tow anything with it. So is the 2-3 inch drop reasonable for that amount of weight, and should I replace the struts (all 4) because of the age/mileage?

TECHNICALLY....that's exceeding legal capacity, so yeah, it'll squat some