Do you take the time intervals into consideration when changing oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Just curious, I personally go by time frame rather than milage mainly because I put maybe 2000 miles a year on my expy and tend to change my oil once a year around mid March, seems everyone else just goes by miles driven here

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, put on too many miles to consider time. I would sell if I only used for 2K miles per yer.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I had my 96 Mustang GT and put about 3k miles on it a year I changed the oil every six months.
Once my 92 is up and running I’ll do the same. Oil and filters are cheap.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, put on too many miles to consider time. I would sell if I only used for 2K miles per yer.

+1. If I was going by time though, I'd probably change it out by 5 months or so. That's the longest I've ever gone between oil changes based on mileage.

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I would sell if I only used for 2K miles per yer.

Yea I would sell it too but I'm keeping it for only two reasons,
A. I use it for personal use even though it's only used once a week at best, but it's also a back up car for my wife's minivan if anything is to happen to her that I cant fix right away, not many cars out there that can hold 4 car seats and still have room for two adults.
B. If I ever run into financial hardship (hopefully never again) I can sell it for 2-3k, call it a back up plan if you would.

But I use that Mobil 1 oil it's called advanced something its supposedly good for 15k miles/1 year intervals with a K&N filter.

Plati

Reaction score
On my beater rustbucket daily driver 2003 I exclusively use for local mostly no more than 20 minute drives ... I change oil once a year, in the fall before winter. Put about 3k per year on it. Oil is dirty by then anyway and on the low end of dipstick marks. 180k miles on it.

Trying to milk as many miles and years out the 2003 that I can. Figure it extends the life of my 2014, especially in winter when I can subject the 2014 to less salt. Plus I enjoy driving the 2003. Its more relaxing to drive a beater when carrying mulch and the like. Handy tool to have & a second vehicle sure comes in handy.

Last edited:

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3,000 miles no matter of the time or oil minder %. If the mileage is racked up in 3 months or 3+ years, never an issue with any of our vehicles.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My opinion on changing oil based on time and not mileage is..... I don’t think the oil goes bad sitting but a lot of temperature change back and forth (like a lot of very short trips to get to target mileage for changing) can contaminate oil with gas and water. So if you drove 3000 miles in three 1000 mile trips your oil is likely in better condition than say 1000 2 mile trips. It depends on your average trip lengths.