Does a 2008 have wires for 7 pin trailer connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2008 King Ranch has the 4 pin at the receiver hitch. I’m pulling a trailer that has electric tilt feature. I’m hoping the wiring for optional 7 pin is already back there tucked up by the spare tire?? I’m also wanting the turn signal feeds without combi brake/turn. Lawn Care Service and often will be parked street side and need orange lights on the trailer to flash. So is there already a 7 pin controller or wiring on a 2008?

Attachments

• 9B16C459-425E-4CD5-8CDE-13646023B9DD.jpeg
    9B16C459-425E-4CD5-8CDE-13646023B9DD.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 5

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2008 King Ranch has the 4 pin at the receiver hitch. I’m pulling a trailer that has electric tilt feature. I’m hoping the wiring for optional 7 pin is already back there tucked up by the spare tire?? I’m also wanting the turn signal feeds without combi brake/turn. Lawn Care Service and often will be parked street side and need orange lights on the trailer to flash. So is there already a 7 pin controller or wiring on a 2008?
Only if it has the optional tow package with the supposedly bigger radiator, trailer brake controller, 7 pin connector (obvious one in the back with the flip up lid), and the auto trans cooler.

Anchorclanker

Reaction score
My 08 LTD has the standard tow package (4 pin) but the wire for the trailer brakes was there, just capped off. I installed a 7 pin connector and ran the blue trailer brake wire to it. It works just fine. There was no wiring for a 12v supply (for the campers 12v battery etc . .) so you may have to run that one yourself.

OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ran a fused +12V constant to the hitch yesterday. I picked up a wire connector today so I can plug the trailer to it with a ground. e-trailer stated that the 7 wire +12V constant could be found in a connector along the frame under drivers back door, but nothing there on my 08.

Why would Ford put a harness to the rear for optional 7 but not include the Aux battery feed? I’ve not been feeling good last few days, which is upsetting me because we’re having incredible weather here this week. But I haven’t been able to get much done. Just doing the minimum for now to get my trailer functioning and maybe I’ll redo a complete 7 wire connection later.

If there’s a connector under the dash for a brake controller that has the brake and turn signal feeds separate, please someone let me know about it. With such high levels of distracted drivers now, I don’t like flashing brake lights for turn signals. Not sure why US auto doesn’t adopt the European standard for lighting, it’s so much safer. My parents Nissan has switchback LED lights in the front turn signals that are white for DRLs but blink orange for turning. I want to put some like it in the Expedition reverse lights, blink orange for turn or flashers but white for reverse with maybe a diode to let the keyless entry light up the reverse lamps. Idk. Years ago I had a 93 Caprice wagon with cornering lights for turning. I built a circuit so the remote keyless entry activated the reverse lights and the cornering lights. So there was white light shining out all four directions as you approached the car. I thought in 08 most vehicles already had the keyless entry activating the reverse lights but apparently not an 08 Expedition.

Anchorclanker

Reaction score
My 08 LTD does have the plug for a brake controller, I think they all do. I bought the Tekonsha 90195 P3 brake controller and it was a plug n play install. Look under the dash in the vicinity of the OBD plug. I also searched under mine for the 12V lead, from the firewall to the receiver and couldn't find it. I agree it seems silly that they put in the brake wire regardless of the as built options but leave out the hot wire.

OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 08 LTD has the standard tow package (4 pin) but the wire for the trailer brakes was there, just capped off. I installed a 7 pin connector and ran the blue trailer brake wire to it. It works just fine. There was no wiring for a 12v supply (for the campers 12v battery etc . .) so you may have to run that one yourself.
Is this blue wire a +12V only when braking?
I might as well rewire it all for 7 pin. I plugged my trailer in today and the parking lights are inop. I checked and it’s dead at the vehicle 4 pin connector. I wish I could afford a trailer with ramp gate instead of this tilt bed. My old mower won’t climb the tilt bed without the trans belt slipping. So I get it started up onto the trailer enough that the back wheels are on, then lower the bed with the worm gear motor. Then finish driving it the rest of the way to the front of the trailer.

Attachments

• 2C24A5A0-36B2-48A8-B7CD-D36A92FF642B.jpeg
    2C24A5A0-36B2-48A8-B7CD-D36A92FF642B.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 744282E1-FA07-4885-AAAD-E401348B313D.jpeg
    744282E1-FA07-4885-AAAD-E401348B313D.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 8

Anchorclanker

Reaction score

Ranger123

Reaction score
My 08 LTD does have the plug for a brake controller, I think they all do. I bought the Tekonsha 90195 P3 brake controller and it was a plug n play install. Look under the dash in the vicinity of the OBD plug. I also searched under mine for the 12V lead, from the firewall to the receiver and couldn't find it. I agree it seems silly that they put in the brake wire regardless of the as built options but leave out the hot wire.
Can you tell me where and how you ran the constant 12 volt aux wire

OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you tell me where and how you ran the constant 12 volt aux wire
An in line fuse holder right off the positive battery terminal then ran a 10 gauge (yes, probably way overkill but I’m running a couple heavy amp motors at the rear) ran that line through I hole I made in an existing rubber boot in the cowl that I could access from the inside up behind the glove box. Then ran that line through the body floor harness channels to the back right corner where it first supplies power to a swing arm lift mounted inside. Then the line continues through a hole I made in an existing rubber plug in the jack compartment and then zip tied a couple places until it comes out by the 4 pin trailer connector.

I’ve since gotten a better used zero turn that would climb the tilt bed, but with other equipment on the trailer I don’t want it to slam down as the mower goes up anyway.
D77536DC-7193-4102-8D17-E763F977E5E6.jpeg

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

See the above for brake controller plug location and wiring.