Don’t do this.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WJD_xlt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a brain fart and opened the rear hatch instead of hitting the parking brake when backing out of the garage.

C98CBD4F-9A81-481B-B276-25598D39AD01.jpeg

taaangy234

Reaction score
Wait, you can open the rear glass from driver seat on a XLT?
That's suck on a brand new car!

Keep us updated how it goes getting it replace.

OP
OP
W

WJD_xlt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait, you can open the rear glass from driver seat on a XLT?
That's suck on a brand new car!

Keep us updated how it goes getting it replace.

No I pressed the button to open the whole rear door SMH

I was so upset because I just got done detailing it too

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh my.... Sorry that happened and hope you can get it fixed without too much hassle. Did the glass open far enough to catch your garage door as it was opening?

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did that to my 2007. Wife just closed the garage door on the rear hatch of my 2018 putting a nice gouge in the paint. Life goes on and touch up paint is cheap. Garages are a double edged sword when these large vehicles are stored inside of them.

OP
OP
W

WJD_xlt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s unfortunate but you know, the silver lining is that we have the means to replace it. I don’t want to sound like we have a ton of disposable income, but I definitely realize the blessings we ha e to be able to afford a vehicle like this.

Good need is it’s getting fixed now.

67A67625-BB4E-4D81-B78B-2004C90970E4.jpeg

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man that SUCKS, I am really sorry that happened. The day I brought mine home I popped the hatch open forgetting to check the clearance...hadn't even had it for 2 hours and scratched the hatch. I have obviously adjusted the opening height now, but that was not my best moment.

Next time skip the parking brake release alltogether...if you just put it in gear and touch the go-pedal, the parking brake will release automatically.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bright side is you can drive around & enjoy that open-air feeling Jeep Wagoneer / Toyota 4-Runner fans rave about.

3DogRanch

Reaction score
I feel you brother. That sucks hard, but like you said, at least you have the means to fix it. I had a ragtop Mustang many years ago with the glass rear window and used the power fold down on an unzipped rear window. the thing exploded all over the trunk and it took me three months to save enough to have that replaced. Total ID-TEN-T moment.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next time skip the parking brake release alltogether...if you just put it in gear and touch the go-pedal, the parking brake will release automatically.

aggiegrad05 has the right idea, or you can release the parking brake after engaging reverse since the tailgate will not open if the vehicle is in gear, which you should inform your wife of prior to her taking you to the airport and dropping you off.