dose any one use a cold weather screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Big Red Monster

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what good will electric fans do? yea the cover will pretty much block all cold air going into the engine

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
we hit -30 at times, i also dont use my block heater either. now when it gets that cold sometimes i will put some cardboard infront of the radiator to help it heat up alittle more. but i have not done that in years. i just hit the remote start and let her idle for awhile. 7mpg be damned i wont get in a cold truck haha

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what good will electric fans do? yea the cover will pretty much block all cold air going into the engine

you turn them off. that way they dont let air threw. and usually in the cold, more so where it snows, the fans would never turn on as long as yours still moving. my buddy tested that out on his truck. he has wired to a switch. so he can keep it on if the engine is hot but not have the truck still running. anyways in the mountains, it had gotten down to 25 the night before and was around 50 in the day. his flipped the switch and the fans didnt turn on, cause it still needs the sensor to do it. some weird way he had it wired up. cool though.

OP
OP
Big Red Monster

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im gonna be honest I dont like electric fans and i will never trust those things to cool my engine, my caddy had them and the relay went bad and i damn near burned the engine up in the summer time. i think for what electric fans cost id rather just install a remote starter lol

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no need for block heater in chi-town...hometown is 1 1/2 hrs away from chi...i know and seen many vehicles without them and do just fine...my uncle has a 3rd gen there...no fronts...no probs...if you were in grand forks north dakota or the upper part of minnesota...i'd say get them...change your anti-freeze and your good

OP
OP
Big Red Monster

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
right now Im running the peak global antifreeze so I shouldnt have much problems. they make a soulution to add to the coolant called "heater hotter" supposed to make it warm up alot faster but i dont like useing any type of additive crap like that

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the block heater is nice because it keeps your oil temp up just turn it on 20-30 min before you leave to let it warm up your oil that way when you start the gas guzzler it is already warmed up. saves alot of gas and they are pretty cheap. or you can get the remote start and burn a couple gallons sitting there waiting for it to warm up

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hehe why do you think my MPGs drop about 2-3mpg in the winter time(getting 7.5 with the excursion and about 8.5 with the expedition). remote start that ******! nice and toasty :)

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
hehe why do you think my MPGs drop about 2-3mpg in the winter time(getting 7.5 with the excursion and about 8.5 with the expedition). remote start that ******! nice and toasty :)

Werd!!!!!! Plus it's hard to scrape the front window when it's seven feet in the air!!!! Remote start on defrost for a few minutes, and drive!!!!

OP
OP
Big Red Monster

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my dad has a block heater on his truck and honestly we didnt notice much of a difference and we had that thing plugged in over night (it was 20 below0 those few days) i think imma get a remote starter installed