Double din radio???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys

I was thinking about buying the Kenwood DDX9703S head unit for my supercar.
Does anyone own this model and if yes is it worth the price? Does it work good?
It's the best (rated) Kenwood on amazon with mostly positive reviews.
There's a legal notice which always pops up after you start it according to this page, but other then that I really like how it looks and it has all the features I need.
Should I go for it or are there better options out there.
Thanks

Struggling with research on the same topic

Seems like the Kenwood you mentioned is outdated and overpriced (2016 model, low res screen)

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm... wonder what's so bad about this?

Screenshot_2019-08-30-06-41-16.png

Wouldn't mind paying more for better, but kinda hard to tell whats what. So confusing...

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm

I think I'll chance this probably... full android tablet functionality and navigation and apps and dual bluetooth so you can keep torque tethered on and a gazillion other features are just too damn tempting. And the review pics show some serious brightness and viewing angles

Screenshot_2019-08-30-07-25-14.png

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed a Kenwood in my 2007. It fits nicely and has a tilt feature that allows you to control glare. Lots of nice features like Apple car play and GPS apps.
IMG-0258.jpg
In this picture the top is tilted in about1/2 inch. It also has 2 USB ports that I fitted in the old AUX input hole from the stock radio

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm

I think I'll chance this probably... full android tablet functionality and navigation and apps and dual bluetooth so you can keep torque tethered on and a gazillion other features are just too damn tempting. And the review pics show some serious brightness and viewing angles

View attachment 31823

I would get nothing less than an OctaCore with 4gb and 64gb. Also be sure the unit has a dedicated slot for SD memory expansion. The one I bought I thought had a slot it does not and requires using a USB port. Leaving me with one usable USB.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/352755061130

I have a QuadCore 2gb and 32gb and it is sufficient for now but as app become more technical and take up more space. It will bog down quickly.
A824AF2B-8E8E-41DB-815E-D72F63AACF47.jpeg
I have a 16 and can’t just slap in a double din unit. There is one Tesla style android unit out but it is only the lower specs like you listed.
Have to upgrade the whole unit so I am holding off till one with higher specs come out.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would get nothing less than an OctaCore with 4gb and 64gb. Also be sure the unit has a dedicated slot for SD memory expansion. The one I bought I thought had a slot it does not and requires using a USB port. Leaving me with one usable USB.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/352755061130

I have a QuadCore 2gb and 32gb and it is sufficient for now but as app become more technical and take up more space. It will bog down quickly.
View attachment 31825
I have a 16 and can’t just slap in a double din unit. There is one Tesla style android unit out but it is only the lower specs like you listed.
Have to upgrade the whole unit so I am holding off till one with higher specs come out.

Is there a reputable-ish 4gb/64gb brand that's on Amazon? Because the 2/32 Atoto they have seems to have a lot of reviews, youtube videos, dedicated accessories, and other nice stuff

For me gotta be off Amazon... I don't like giving payment info to third parties, prefer their guaranteed shipping, like my 5% discount, and know how to make use of the 1* review to bully them into quick warranty and out of warranty replacement

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel you on the Amazon.
If you are dead set on low $200 unit I would go with this.
XTRONS 7 Inch Android 8.0 Octa Core 4G RAM 32G ROM HD Digital Multi-Touch Screen Car Stereo GPS Radio OBD2 TPMS Double 2 Din with DVR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CPYGH9G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BTvADbJMY5YPA

32g memory is not a dealbreaker as you can expand with SD.
But certainly want to max the processor and ram. Octacore and 4gb seem to be the highest readily available currently.

If you can bump your budge to high $200s I would go with this Joying. It has 64gb
Android Car Stereo - JOYING Android 8.1 4GB + 64GB 7" Double Din Head Unit LCD Touchscreen with 4G SIM Card Slot - Android Auto/DSP/SPDIF/Fast Boot/Split Screen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RDP8KFK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WWvADbRHF1B6T

Joying seems to be the top liked “brand” in my YouTube research. But in the end they are all built in the same Chinese factory.

While the unit you linked will work just fine I don’t think that processor and ram will be up to ***** in a couple years as quickly as these apps are becoming more capable.

I paid $89 for mine on eBay just to test out and see if they worked as I would want.
I am very impressed with it. Certainly is no iPhone or iPad but capable for what it is.
I am also still learning Android so that may limit me a bit as well.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went with the Atoto for 260 (max spec but no gesture controle because column shift is next to it) minus 26 bucks of discounts on two coupons....

And dropped another 200 bucks on dashcams, 360 cam, normal cam (in case that's crap), dashcam, mounting kits, harnesses, rca extensions etc....

We'll see tomorrow if it's a keeper or 400 bucks of Amazon returns lol

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am shopping single DIN units for my Silverado at the moment.
Fairly limited especially since I don’t want one of those flip out screens.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am shopping single DIN units for my Silverado at the moment.
Fairly limited especially since I don’t want one of those flip out screens.

You want a touchscreen infotainment device in single DIN? Or just an oldschool cd/radio/mp3 head?