Drawer build...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Guys with Expedition (not the truck name) truck builds do this routinely. It’s a thing. ..........
This is the best website for the Expedition "thing" (that I know of). Ironically, I was searching for the "Expedition" information when I found this Ford Expedition Forum. Lucky me! To date I have never seen anybody but myself that customized and uses a Ford Expedition for Expeditions. I don't know why that is, its a great platform for that!!
https://expeditionportal.com/

I'm trying to figure out how to put Solar panels up top and use them as a power source for lighting and food refrigeration. Seems like that would be pretty easy ... but cant find either a design or a retail product for that. If anybody has any ideas let me know.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to put Solar panels up top and use them as a power source for lighting and food refrigeration. Seems like that would be pretty easy ... but cant find either a design or a retail product for that. If anybody has any ideas let me know.

Check Expedition Portal. There are tons of Solar Panel threads on that site. You won't find anything that "fits 2003 Ford Expedition" but it's all universal enough that you should be able to make it work.

I'm still trying to figure out why solar is such a big thing. On Expedition Portal, those people are supposed to be nomadic. Only staying in one spot for short amounts of time (basically overnight). I know a couple guys in my local overlanding group that run refrigerators off their main battery without issues.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about the noise of the items? That would bother me.

All that stuff is going to be back there anyway. With drawers it will be secured and still accessible.

And to be honest, I don't hear any noises with my drawers (Explorer) or storage box (Expedition).

Erzebet

Reaction score
What a great job!! I have been wanting to make a drawer platform for my '16 EL for 2 dog crates too! A couple questions if you do not mind: What are the dimensions, and is it attached to the floor in anyway? The lack of cargo tie downs in this truck is still unbelievable to me. At least with the platform I can ratchet the crates down ( I have 2 RTK molded intermediate crates) to the platform - just wondering if the platform stays put if not fastened to the truck floor.

has anyone else built a drawer storage unit for their Expedition ? I just finished mine, I built mine for road trips that we love to take ! Two drawers and a lift up door on the front, and I have two dog crates that strap on top, and still have plenty of room for everything else we need to take.

View attachment 24113

View attachment 24114

View attachment 24115

OP
OP
Okgearhead

Okgearhead

Reaction score
The top and bottom are 3/4” plywood, 4’x4’, the sides, back and the middle are 1x6 pine boards , the drawer sides and front and back are also 1x6 pine trimmed down to fit inside, the bottom of the drawers is 1/4 inch plywood, the slides are 24” self closing. I do have it mounted with two “L” brackets that are bolted to the floor where another bracket is mounted, under the carpet that’s in the rear storage area, on each side, about 14 “ from the back of the cargo area, the bracket that’s there goes under the side panel on each side. I trimmed my sides and middle 3/4” on the front so the front of the drawers would counter sink into the box, ( the front of the drawers sets flush with the box ) I’ll take some more pics !

OP
OP
Okgearhead

Okgearhead

Reaction score
In the last pic is the anchor for the straps for the dog crates, it’s where one of the third row seatbelt used to be anchored, I took the seat belts and tucked them into the side where they’re anchored at the back on both sides. The first pic is the side anchor , one on each side.

mdjeterva

Reaction score
I made this one last year, it's for a specific purpose. Works well, but I didn't need drawers for this project. With the hatch shut it's completely hidden. It's 5 inches tall and and cable locked through the 2 row seat brackets. Mini truck bed mat on top, cut down to fit.20170320_144140.jpg 20170320_144108.jpg