Driver Recall Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhExped

Reaction score
My '18 Limited previously underwent repairs for the clicking/popping side view mirrors problem. Things were working well after that.

Lately, however, as my wife (Driver 1) and I (Driver 2) enter the vehicle after the other was the last one driving, the driver recall function doesn't always get the side mirrors and seat positions all the way back to the current driver's presets. Sometimes they're off by a small amount, sometimes by quite a bit.

When this happens, you can usually press the manual driver recall button and the mirrors and seat will move the rest of the way into position.

Anyone else experience this? If so, did you ever get a proper diagnosis and repair?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '18 Limited previously underwent repairs for the clicking/popping side view mirrors problem. Things were working well after that.

Lately, however, as my wife (Driver 1) and I (Driver 2) enter the vehicle after the other was the last one driving, the driver recall function doesn't always get the side mirrors and seat positions all the way back to the current driver's presets. Sometimes they're off by a small amount, sometimes by quite a bit.

When this happens, you can usually press the manual driver recall button and the mirrors and seat will move the rest of the way into position.

Anyone else experience this? If so, did you ever get a proper diagnosis and repair?
Mine does that too sometimes. I just push the button and they do their thing. It's never been a big enough deal for me to care about.

Now, if pressing the button stops working, it will be an issue. But having to push a button every 20th time I get in the car doesn't bother me.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By any chanced did your salesman program one fob for each driver? In other words, if fob #1 had the memory settings programmed for driver #1, and fob #2 is programmed for driver #2, the memory settings will react to the fob used for entry. If you did not program your fobs thusly, then I got nothing to add.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine also does this every so often. I just press the #1 button and it goes to where its supposed to. Most of the time its my steering wheel that doesn't go to the memory position. Weird.

OP
OP
M

mhExped

Reaction score
By any chanced did your salesman program one fob for each driver?
Yes, each of our fobs is programmed separately, one for Driver #1 (my wife) and one for Driver #2 (me), as you describe.

The problem is that when the settings are moving from one driver's presets to the other's, certain items (seat and side view mirrors in our case) go only 75% - 95% of the way to where they've been preset.

I say "75% - 95%" because sometimes it get pretty darned close - other times it's significantly off.

Usually, though not always, pressing the preset button manually gets the mirrors and seat the rest of the 5% - 25% to where it should have gone in the first place.

Just yesterday I experienced something I hadn't previously...After the initial movement failed (yet again) to bring the mirrors back to where they are preset for me, I pressed the manual Driver #2 button, expecting them to go the rest of the way. Instead, the mirror kind of did a "dance" where it moved in all sorts of directions before coming back to what seemed like the same initial position (shy of where it should have been). From that point forward, every time I pressed the manual recall button, it did the same "dance." That's a new one for me.

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
Oddly enough, I'm experiencing this issue with the steering wheel on our navigator. Seems like the seat is starting to do it as well but nothing with the mirrors yet. My service guy has ordered a new seat memory module (which I'm told controls the mirrors and steering wheel as well). I'll let you know once I hear back and get it installed.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, each of our fobs is programmed separately, one for Driver #1 (my wife) and one for Driver #2 (me), as you describe.

The problem is that when the settings are moving from one driver's presets to the other's, certain items (seat and side view mirrors in our case) go only 75% - 95% of the way to where they've been preset.

I say "75% - 95%" because sometimes it get pretty darned close - other times it's significantly off.

Usually, though not always, pressing the preset button manually gets the mirrors and seat the rest of the 5% - 25% to where it should have gone in the first place.

Just yesterday I experienced something I hadn't previously...After the initial movement failed (yet again) to bring the mirrors back to where they are preset for me, I pressed the manual Driver #2 button, expecting them to go the rest of the way. Instead, the mirror kind of did a "dance" where it moved in all sorts of directions before coming back to what seemed like the same initial position (shy of where it should have been). From that point forward, every time I pressed the manual recall button, it did the same "dance." That's a new one for me.
You might have the battery checked. I am astounded at the number of weird things these vehicles do when the battery is either on the way out or just low. I'm not suggesting that's necessarily what's going on here, but it's worth a shot.

OP
OP
M

mhExped

Reaction score
You might have the battery checked.
Thanks for the suggestion @aggiegrad05. I'll bring it up with the dealer.

Meanwhile, another new pattern emerged today...After the initial movements involved in recalling my presets, I could tell the driver's side view mirror was still a bit off (not uncommon these days, as I've described above).

This time, when I pressed the manual recall button, the mirror tilted ever so slightly up. I pressed the button again and it tilted ever so slightly up a 2nd time. Pressed it again and it angled ever so slightly in. At this point, the mirror seemed about where it should be and further presses resulted in no add'l movements.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I wonder if things are just binding up. Seems like with the running boards, they give up at the smallest amount of resistance. Do you live in a dusty area? Do you clean frequently with something that light be leaving a soap residue in there. Just a thought. Maybe a deep clean behind the mirror might help.

I have turned off the easy exit feature cause I was tired of adjusting my seat and steering wheel and I am usually the one that drives it. I find I want a slightly different position depending on how my back and neck are feeling. I also worry about the longevity of these moving part when it isn't necessary. Thinking about turning off the mirror folding as well.

For the fob thing, I think I read that you can program it. You don't need the dealer to do it. My wife always swaps keys so it makes no sense for me.

Guzz

Reaction score
Does anyone have the recall bulletin # for the mirrors? I figured that I was just going to have to live with it and unprogrammed my key because of it.