Driver Side Catch Can - Tell me what you know

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ll start out by admitting that I’m still new to the EcoBoost world. I’ve been researching catch cans and see passenger side catch cans as the primary option for the 3.5. It seemed odd to me that there’d be a mod for one side of an engine and not the other so I dug a bit deeper and found that since the PCR system is one way, the passenger side is where blowby occurs and can be captured. Then I stumbled across some more info that indicated that when the engine is under boost, the driver side is actually the side where blowby would occur. I’ll be using my Expedition to tow a lot which means it’ll be under boost for those trips and I’d like to capture as much blowby as possible.

Can anyone confirm that a driver side catch can is relevant for catching blowby under boost? Is anyone running a dual can system, and if so can you confirm whether or not you’re seeing anything in the driver side can after a few thousand miles?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ll start out by admitting that I’m still new to the EcoBoost world. I’ve been researching catch cans and see passenger side catch cans as the primary option for the 3.5. It seemed odd to me that there’d be a mod for one side of an engine and not the other so I dug a bit deeper and found that since the PCR system is one way, the passenger side is where blowby occurs and can be captured. Then I stumbled across some more info that indicated that when the engine is under boost, the driver side is actually the side where blowby would occur. I’ll be using my Expedition to tow a lot which means it’ll be under boost for those trips and I’d like to capture as much blowby as possible.

Can anyone confirm that a driver side catch can is relevant for catching blowby under boost? Is anyone running a dual can system, and if so can you confirm whether or not you’re seeing anything in the driver side can after a few thousand miles?

A passenger side only kit like the JLT will catch 80-95% of the blow by. Some of the more involved kits that collect both sides, are both much more of a pain to install, and almost 3 times the cost.

The 4th Gen expeditions have the 2nd Gen 3.5, and because of that have the added benefit of also have port fuel injectors...in addition to the direct injectors. The port fuel injection has the added benefit of “washing” the intake ports. So build up is less of an issue.

Basically, get the JLT setup, save some money, and it takes about 30 minutes to install once you figure out where it is all going to.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A passenger side only kit like the JLT will catch 80-95% of the blow by. Some of the more involved kits that collect both sides, are both much more of a pain to install, and almost 3 times the cost.

The 4th Gen expeditions have the 2nd Gen 3.5, and because of that have the added benefit of also have port fuel injectors...in addition to the direct injectors. The port fuel injection had the added benefit of “washing” the intake ports. So build up is less of an issue.

Basically, get the JLT setup, save some money, and it takes about 30 minutes to install once you figure out where it is all going to.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for getting straight to the point. I’m not looking to spend a ton of money and definitely don’t need to be messing with a complex install for minimal benefits.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mostly on engines the driver side is the clean air intake from the air cleaner to the valve cover, the other bank is the PCV suction side where you need the can to keep the oil vapor from getting into the intake system. I have a JLT on my '16 it works very well, need to check it often. About 5-600 miles in winter as it catches water vapor too. About 1500 miles in summer months for oil vapor.

lefty hack

Reaction score
I’m not familiar with Catch cans. I’ve read a bit since seeing you guys talk about them, will this prevent the need to clean the engine every 20000 miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with Catch cans. I’ve read a bit since seeing you guys talk about them, will this prevent the need to clean the engine every 20000 miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 4th Gen Expedition’s have the 2nd Gen 3.5, that has both Direct and Port Injection. So it has less issues with intake Valve deposits.

Still a good Catch can is highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro