Dry vs oiled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
opinions needed on dry vs oiled filter for OE & aftermarket CAI

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most certainly dry for me.
No need to worry about oiling error and dry flow just as much with giving the same protection.
AFE and S&B are likely the top.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
My 67 Econoline has a stock oil bath air cleaner made what Ford called "coir" - coconut husk. Don't know if it filters more than bugs out of the carburetor but it keeps the engine block and manifold and most of the frame from rusting.

At every bump, it vomits oil that the fan heaves everywhere. It drips down the sides of the block when I shut it down. When I change the oil I refill what hasn't splashed or sucked out of the coir air cleaner with the cheapest Red Dot oil I can find. I wrap the motor mounts with plastic bags to keep from being dissolved by the flung oil.

Ah, those were the days.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should see the ones on a 8v71 Detroit Diesel MCI bus!! Metal weave stuff with oil bath that's about 15 inches diameter.
They work though, and when they get dirty and restricted, you can tell a world of difference after you clean it. It feels like you got twice the power back.

That meaning as you keep pedal slammed to floor, it gets to same speed in half the time.

Not really that bad and I do miss driving the 40 ft, 4 speed manual spicer from time to time.

It was fun!!

lvcjt702

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dry. It keeps the MAF and throttle body cleaner.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW

We've run oiled air filters for 40 years in my bikes.....no big deal and I've run an oiled K&N in my SLK for the past 180,000 miles....just oil properly but most Over-oil causing issues....this is one of those cases where "more" is bad, very bad!

The bikes are all old tech...no sensors, carbs etc. The '02 car has a complete Canbus system complete with all the sensors, maf, FI etc...also no issues....JMHO

jeff

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I just switched out the oiled K&N pod filter in the K&N FIPK air box in my S2000 for an AEM dry filter. Just 'cuz as the K&N has shown no problem for the past 5 years. I run the Ford OE filter in my '17 Expedition.

Plenty of testing shows some of these aftermarket filters provide better air flow.

When the tests are carried beyond that they show the acceleration gains are real but too small to be felt by the driver. Do we have a charcoal element in our air cleaners?

-- Chuck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker