E4OD transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, I'm stumped. The Ford service guide that was in the glove box when I got my Expedition lists three transmission options in a table near the back of the book. They are: 4R70W, E4OD, and E4OD (4x4). Curious as to what tranny I have, I crawled under the truck one day and counted up the bolts around the enormous tranny's oil pan: 14. I searched Google for my answer and found only a reference to the transmission code, which is a U. What I found says that the letter U usually represents the 4R70W.
I used a VIN decoder and it identified most of the stuff on my truck: Expedition, 4 wheel drive, 4.6 liter engine, etc, and says I have an "automatic w/OD" and an "electronic" transmission, which is the E4OD. However, I've read that the "U" transmission code refers to the 4R70W.

I'm confused. I'd like to know for sure which one I have and what the maintenance requirements are, plus I need to correct my signature! My tranny is quite a bit bigger than the AOD in my wife's '91 F-150, but that doesn't tell me much.

Last edited:

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the transmission code on the sticker in your door jam?

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I figured it out by looking at the gaskets on advance auto parts website. They're very different. The 4R100 has 20 bolts in the pan and it is mostly rectangular in shape. The 40R70 is 13-14 bolts and is closer to square.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I doubt you have a 4R100 with a 4.6- they usually came with the 5.4 and tow pkg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition