E85 tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@LokiWolf

That's why I'm surprised you're so quick 0-60. I'm tapped out with the stock fuel pumps running an e30 mix and its the reason why I asked my earlier question what pumps you're running.

The jb4 has selectable boost based on fuel octane (including ethanol mixes) and mods. My 0-60 is slow because I can't get a good launch, but I run a 12.7 second quarter mile in an otherwise stock Navigator L with the heavy 22's.

The JB4 is a plug in module, as in it does intercepts, and modifies signal going to the stock PCM correct?

If so it does not have access to everything it needs access to. I use a HP Tuners MPVI2. ZFG will also support the HP Tuners RTD.

The PCM and TCM get completely overwritten.

To be clear, my tune is not a flex tune. If I want to run 93 on the Expedition, I have to load the 93 tune using my laptop. If I want to run E85 I have to load that tune.

The other thing ZFG does is tweak the Trans, some of my gains are improved shifting. In my current E85 tune, Snow mode is actually Drag Mode. Trans shifts are setup for going straight quick, and launching. 4WD Auto, Rear Simulated Lock, and TC in Sport Mode. That is what gets me the 4.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you will look up random fuel system components for vehicles, why then are different components (different part numbers) specified for E85 designed vehicles and non-E85 vehicles?

Why do manufacturers use a different (labeled) fuel cap or fuel filler opening for E85 vehicles?

I reviewed the vehicle owner’s manual for my 2015 Expedition Limited and it cautions not to use fuel with more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel, unless the vehicle is designated a FFV (flex fuel vehicle).

I am not spreading misinformation - and you are simply wrong.

LOKI is not wrong, you are
The only reason different parts are specified is due to flow rates of the injectors, HPFP, In tank fuel pump flow rates etc.
All other components are the same for FLEX fuel & Non Flex fuel vehicles I.E. fuel lines, pressure regulators ETC.
The different part numbers have nothing to do with ethanol compatibility
They are for the higher flow rates required
Many new vehicles use all the same components for both FLEX Fuel & NON FLEX fuel vehicles
The only difference is the ECU programming & the yellow fuel filler cap
Again I repeat
All vehicles MFG since E10 became standard have to be ethanol compatible
So any ethanol concentration from E10 to E100 will not damage fuel lines, fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulator, Injectors.
Once in the combustion chamber, ethanol is vastly superior to gasoline due to it's much higher octane rating & cooling characteristics
An engine optimized for E85 can produce 50-60% more power & cost per mile is even less than gasoline
I have used ethanol in my vehicles for the last 20 years with no fuel system issues
Is amazes me that there is so much "MISINFORMATION" regarding BIO FUELS:33:

Brons2

Reaction score
Even though E85 has less energy per gallon, it is possible to run it at a higher thermal efficiency. But everyone uses this ability by tuning just to get gonzo power, not to get better mileage. It is possible to close the mileage gap with unleaded if engines were optimized for E85. Higher static compression is certainly necessary to achieve better economy under light throttle, but higher compression plus turbos is not conducive to the usage of pump unleaded gas.