Eaton Diff HELP!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03Expoguy

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2003 expy XLT 4x4. I have experienced the famous rear differential grind/rub when making a turn from a dead stop. Rather then spending the money on replacing the clutch pack and rebuilding the factory rear end. I was thinking about replacing it with an auburn/eaton unit. I would love some info and help on this topic. Please.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe it is the standard Ford 9.75" They make a few different choices. I would look at a Torsen style dif as they work well and have no clutch packs to wear out. For Eaton I believe that is their True Trac model.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had True Tracs installed in both of my Explorer diffs. It pretty well climbs anything I point it at.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was a TSB out years ago to change out the original 75w-90 gear lube for 75w-140 LS gear lube (like Mobil One LS ....). If this was never done you will definitely get the clutch pack shutter from a stop to a turn conditions. It might be worth giving that a try before blowing the money on a new pumpkin set. Although if the upgrade was never done it may be too late already.

-Mike

mobil_1_synthetic_gear_75w-140_1qt_front_2012.jpg