Ecoboost engine burning fluids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Make them replace the catalytic converters, since burning coolant ruins them.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see something very similar with my truck. I have it at the dealer now. They say they can't find anything wrong. WTF?

They did find this stuck in the rad.

dead-bird.jpg

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
White smoke then. Glad to hear the dealer caught the problem.

hope they fix it it properly and you’ll be good to go.

(something to think about - since the head will be off, consider doing valves, guides and seats at the same time. Might save you from having to remove the head again in a short while. I’ve always done that. If it’s apart address any possible issues you can. Can save time and money in the long run.)

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the final verdict was leaking head gasket. Repair estimate for parts and labor is $3,879 of which $3,552 is labor (22 hours) and the remainders parts, tax etc. All but $300 is covered by my Fidelity Warranty (through Carmax), which has now officially paid for itself. I couldn't get the loaner Mach E, because it was loaned to someone else that had a vehicle in for repair. That individual has had it for over 3 weeks now. Perhaps a parts shortage? I don't know.

The quote to replace the timing chain and cam phasers was another $3,500, so I passed because I don't anticipate keeping the vehicle longer than 12 - 18 months, as I would like to upgrade to a 4th gen. We also put far fewer miles on the truck since we take the Focus Electric nearly everywhere, and my daughter brought my ICE vehicle back while home from college. At the rate we're using it, the 8K left on the warranty might last for 6 - 12 months.

Hopefully used car prices return to sanity within my purchase timeframe. The Expedition has been a good vehicle thus far, but I would love to get the 4th gen if I can do so at reasonable price. It's getting worked on just in time, as my trailer is supposed to be back next week. Final repair cost on that one...~$14,000.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I gotta say reading this thread and another recent one here on crankshaft piston knock those EB motors scare the hell outta me.

Well, there was over a million sold by 2016, and they’re generally considered solid engines. I’m very disappointed that mine is one of the outliers.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Well, there was over a million sold by 2016, and they’re generally considered solid engines. I’m very disappointed that mine is one of the outliers.

It doesn’t matter how many they sell if yours experiences all the common failures.
This forum is full of threads about EB problems.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter how many they sell if yours experiences all the common failures.
This forum is full of threads about EB problems.
I’ll say that I’ve owned a lot of different Ford engines over the years and the 3.5 Ecoboost is definitely in the top 3 for favorites. No two of the same mass produced engines are exactly the same. They vary from different tolerances on numerous parts throughout the engine. Every now and then you get a bad one that has issues. One of my worst Ford engines I ever owned was a 88 EFI 302 roller cam Windsor. Had I not known better I would’ve said those engines were junk from my experience with mine, but that mill is arguably one of the best engines Ford has ever built according to many. I had two different 351M engines and a 400M that I loved over that 302W, and the M engines weren’t exactly one of Fords best. So it’s hard to really judge by a handful of bad ones, and when people aren’t having trouble with their Ecoboost’s they aren’t really advertising it on forums. Oh by the way, my top 3 are my old Boss 351 and other 2v Cleveland’s, my 4v 390 FE, and the 3.5 Ecoboost. My old 300 straight 6 probably comes in 4th just because of durability not performance. My 2 cents. Actually I should mention my 5.4 2v as being a solid performer and durable also....tied for 4th.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford doesn't offer an optional engine in the Expedition. Sales are around 40-50K per year. So that is 200-250k engines. I have not heard the f-150 version having major issues, like the Expeditions. The EB's engine reputation is already sketchy. They are on the 3rd generation and still having issues. GM's Tahoe/yukon optional 6cyl is a diesel.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear the warranty company is not giving you any hassle, makes the world much easier.

I also would like to jump into a 4th gen, problem is they don’t look good till you hit Limited Stealth or Platinum. Need to let the used market settle down.

Last edited: