Ecoboost engine burning fluids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dumb question maybe.....did you bother to get down and actually smell it?

I dunno....if I saw smoke and wasn't sure if it were oil/glycol........

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dumb question maybe.....did you bother to get down and actually smell it?

I dunno....if I saw smoke and wasn't sure if it were oil/glycol........

Not this time, but I have noticed on various occasions that the exhaust has a very unpleasant odor. When we park at softball tournaments, I was cautious not to idle with anyone seated behind me because of it. What does the odor suggest?

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make that warranty work for you!.

My plan was always to ditch it for a 4th gen when the warranty expires. I didn't anticipate that we would put 60,000 miles on it in 31 months, or else I might have sprung for the 150K warranty instead. Plus, now the 4th gens are in heavy demand and the HD Tow is hard to find on any of them. If the problem is suitably repaired, I may drive it for another year, until supply is back to normal.

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, the verdict is that it's burning coolant, and it appears to be from a head gasket leak. The service tech said coolant was low and they tested the gas in the coolant reservoir. It tested positive for combustion gas, which means some gas is escaping into the cooling system. They want four hours to pull a head gasket to verify. No update on the Mach E, I guess the service manager's wife is driving it or something. It would awesome if I could get it for the weekend since I have to drive 50 miles for a softball game.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a feeling you were going to be in for head gaskets but I didn’t want to be a downer. They should check the heads for warpage, commonly the gasket blows out because of an irregularity happening. Wonder if they will just go ahead and replace that head. That would be ideal.

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a feeling you were going to be in for head gaskets but I didn’t want to be a downer. They should check the heads for warpage, commonly the gasket blows out because of an irregularity happening. Wonder if they will just go ahead and replace that head. That would be ideal.

I spoke to the shop tech about it, because the service advisor didn't do a good job of conveying what they found. The tech said they'll check the heads and block for warpage. Might be in for a new engine if either has substantial damage. Really disappointing, because the truck has been running great.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
Not enough info here.

What color smoke. White? Light gray? Blue?

only at idle? Or under acceleration?

only when cold? Or all the time?

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not enough info here.

What color smoke. White? Light gray? Blue?

only at idle? Or under acceleration?

only when cold? Or all the time?

They dealer tech determined that a head gasket is letting coolant into the cylinders. Just waiting to hear on warranty coverage.