EcoBoost Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took my 2018 Expedition in for leaking coolant...Ford finds the following:

1) Leaking Water Pump, Two Leaking Coolant Hoses
2) Failed VCT Unit
3) Software Update

They want to charge me full labor price for hoses (650.00) and the software update (60.00) for a vehicle still under power train warranty.

Is anyone else having these major failures in a vehicle that is barely a year and a half old? Fairly disappointing for a motor that is put in the F150 to fail like this.
Everyone of those should be warranty repair. I had the mirror popping repair and it was free. I have the Lincoln and their service has been a hell of a lot better than some of the experiences I’ve read people having had at Ford so take that for what it’s worth.

so are you getting that rattle on cold start?

I’d be mad as a hornet if I were you.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t find it but I know I’ve seen it... Maybe Artie has a point. Do you have a Lincoln dealer local? Cadillac will work on any Chevy or GMC for warranty for example.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How bad is the Ford dealership here you ask??? I'd say pretty bad! My dad took the old 7.3 F-350 to have LED's headlights put in new enclosures. Well, they put the LED's in upside down so the high beams pointed down at the ground. LOL, I sent a couple hours and fixed it for him. It was a *****. Had to pull both batteries and the air box to get my hand in there. I'm going to invoice the guy I know up there for fun!

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everyone of those should be warranty repair. I had the mirror popping repair and it was free. I have the Lincoln and their service has been a hell of a lot better than some of the experiences I’ve read people having had at Ford so take that for what it’s worth.

so are you getting that rattle on cold start?

I’d be mad as a hornet if I were you.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^ Lincoln treated me so much better and fixed all my issues in under 3-hours versus the 5-days Ford had my Expedition. In 5-days they changed the oil and all my problems still existed.

JNick

Reaction score
How bad is the Ford dealership here you ask??? I'd say pretty bad! My dad took the old 7.3 F-350 to have LED's headlights put in new enclosures. Well, they put the LED's in upside down so the high beams pointed down at the ground. LOL, I sent a couple hours and fixed it for him. It was a *****. Had to pull both batteries and the air box to get my hand in there. I'm going to invoice the guy I know up there for fun!

We should start a thread about bonehead dealership service stories. Here's mine:

The chrome on the inside of the LED headlight housing was detaching. The dealer agreed it was a warranty issue and replaced it for free. It was a $1800 bill to Ford, according to the dealer. ~$1200 part and ~4 hours of labor to put it in. So, what did they do?

The parts guy ordered, the service tech installed and the service advisor delivered a headlight that belonged on a Stealth edition (See pictures below...drivers side = stock passenger side = replacement). So many people involved in this failure.

The dealer ate another $1800 to fix it.

IMG_1703.jpeg IMG_1704.jpeg

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We should start a thread about bonehead dealership service stories. Here's mine:

The chrome on the inside of the LED headlight housing was detaching. The dealer agreed it was a warranty issue and replaced it for free. It was a $1800 bill to Ford, according to the dealer. ~$1200 part and ~4 hours of labor to put it in. So, what did they do?

The parts guy ordered, the service tech installed and the service advisor delivered a headlight that belonged on a Stealth edition (See pictures below...drivers side = stock passenger side = replacement). So many people involved in this failure.

The dealer ate another $1800 to fix it.

View attachment 33435 View attachment 33436

I can understand an issue with ordering the wrong part, but pretty bad to actually install the wrong part when it's that obvious!

johnmc

Reaction score
I am 67 yrs old and have never owned anything but Fords. My next vehicle will probably be a Honda Pilot. Fewer Chinese parts and less Wall Street control. Still have EPA hacks however perverting the whole automotive world. Our political representatives seemed to be AWOL on all of this. They sure are not representing anyone I know on this stuff. There is so much BS on the new cars that I don't want and don't want to pay far but practically doubles price
of cars. What's wrong with America these days.

OrangeWhipX3

Reaction score
Also...I am a bit worried after reading around...that they are bull ******** me on the VCT thing and its actually timing chain issues that are making the god awful cold start rattle sound. Anyone have any info on this? Even the service lady admitted it was bad and I have a hard time believing some solenoid is the issue. And then they call and offer me a loaner car because "it could take longer..." Oh boy!

And then there is this....same issue I am having!

I had a 2013 F-150 with the first gen EB. When its timing chain stretched it sounded just like that Raptor in the video. Just like it. I took the truck to dealership with a couple of videos doing it and they knew exactly what it was and scheduled it in the following week.

Truck had ~54k miles on it and was covered by powertrain warranty

johnmc

Reaction score
Sounds like Ford and Ecoboost these days. Should have put a good 5.0L in the expeditions when they changed from the 5.4L. I will never buy and Ecoboost. I wanted to trade my 2008 Expedition in 2012 but I waited for 5.0L offering. Decided to buy a non Ford for the first time.

Williamb97

Reaction score
Having similar coolant leak with 2015 Expedition. Several hoses and water pump replaced and still have intermittent coolant leak. Screen is black and when it work back up camera in intermittent. Dealer is working with us on this and we have a new loaner Expedition.