EcoBoost Throttle Body Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My TB was replaced this week. A little over 60000 miles. I talked to my dealer and told them the truck acted like a carburetor cable broke and I have a code reader and got the P2112 error. It happened twice on one day but not since in a little over a week. They wrote it up so I could get the TB replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2015 at 64,000 miles. The first time it happened I got a wrench light. I thought the engine failed because I lost power and the engine only idled and sounded like it lost a couple cylinders. I shut it off, turned it back on and everything was normal. I took it to dealer and they could not recover any codes or find anything to indicate a problem. Because of my extended warranty they could not replace the throttle body even though they suspected that's what it was. So I continued to drive it and about a week later it happened again so while the wrench light was on I hooked my scanner up, captured the code, told the dealer the code number, and they replaced it for me.

Not following the couldn’t replace it due to the extended warranty.
Care to explain a bit more?

MLyon

Reaction score
The dealer told me without a stored code and without it showing anything wrong when they did a diagnostic check, they could not replace any parts. They said the extended warranty I have doesn't permit replacing parts unless they find a problem or reason to replace it.

MLyon

Reaction score
Not following the couldn’t replace it due to the extended warranty.
Care to explain a bit more?

The dealer told me without a stored code and without it showing anything wrong when they did a diagnostic check, they could not replace any parts. They said the extended warranty I have doesn't permit replacing parts unless they find a problem or reason to replace it.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my 2015 with 116,000 miles on it just did this to me today. So I’ll be calling the local dealer tomorrow and having it replaced under my extended warranty. Scared me because it acted like my engine was done. A little freaky and I caused a bit of a traffic jam while I idled to the nearest parking lot driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
AllBoostNoEco

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what is causing the failures? any insight
thanks
There’s a circuit board in the TB that fails. The TB was produced by Delphi, and they produced a bad part. They even offer the plastic cap with the circuit board already in it just to lower warranty costs due to the number of failures of that board.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
what is causing the failures? any insight
thanks

This happened to my 05 5.4 at around 50k-60K miles... I replaced the throttle body and never looked back. The truck used to drop into limp mode or stall. Restart it and it was fine. I think it was the TPS on the 05-06 trucks that was actually to blame. The 07 or 08 model year throttle bodies were updated apparently... I just replaced the whole thing. Hopefully this doesn't show up on my 17!

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so my warranty peeps may or may not cover this and the testing procedure they require costs $100. If they cover it, I don’t have to pay. If they don’t cover it, I’m out the $100 test procedure plus the parts and labor so instead of taking a chance, I’m going to replace it myself. I’ve done a little research and have two questions:

Allboost, can I as a regular consumer get the “cap” electronic portion of the throttle body and replace that to save money? Or is it not available to us lowly consumers?

If I end up just having to replace the whole thing, does anyone recommend a vendor to buy this from?

Do I need to perform a “relearn” procedure after install? And if so, what exactly is it?

You guys are helpful thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro