EcoBoosts, Fuel, Octane, Ethanol and Tuning...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Jeep just announced the V8(6.4l 392) is back in the Wrangler. They choose today, the day the Bronco is released. Wanna bet Ford puts the V8 in the Expedition and future Bronco. Hey Lokiwolf please post a video, actually pumping E50 in your 2020(that only allows only E15). Then drive it 20mi and lets see if you get a CEL. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeep just announced the V8(6.4l 392) is back in the Wrangler. They choose today, the day the Bronco is released. Wanna bet Ford puts the V8 in the Expedition and future Bronco. Hey Lokiwolf please post a video, actually pumping E50 in your 2020(that only allows only E15). Then drive it 20mi and lets see if you get a CEL. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH.

HaHa! You are the definition of a Troll. Again, the first sentence you say in a thread that has nothing to do with the subject of the thread is about a FCA V8. It seems to be your default playbook.

I DO practice what I preach. I put E85 mixed with 93(E10) to get to E50 weekly in my Explorer. My Explorer is stock except for fuel and tune.

Won't be trying the E50 tune on the Expedition until later this Summer. Progressing through different tuners, and testing performance for those that care and actually own a EB powered Expedition.

Again, CANNOT do it on a Stock Tune. Have to be tuned for E50. Contrary to what you think it requires ZERO physical changes to the vehicle.

I defined what the manual clearly says in the first 2 posts in this thread. Please, just go back under your rock. I created this thread to discuss Octane, Tunes, and Ethanol. None of which you should care about...well cause you think it is all crap. I will not be responding to you anymore in this thread. Others can, but you and what you say has ZERO value to me. You have proven through many posts in many threads to have ZERO idea what you are talking about.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
HaHa! You are the definition of a Troll. Again, the first sentence you say in a thread that has nothing to do with the subject of the thread is about a FCA V8. It seems to be your default playbook.

I DO practice what I preach. I put E85 mixed with 93(E10) to get to E50 weekly in my Explorer. My Explorer is stock except for fuel and tune.

Won't be trying the E50 tune on the Expedition until later this Summer. Progressing through different tuners, and testing performance for those that care and actually own a EB powered Expedition.

Again, CANNOT do it on a Stock Tune. Have to be tuned for E50. Contrary to what you think it requires ZERO physical changes to the vehicle.

I defined what the manual clearly says in the first 2 posts in this thread. Please, just go back under your rock. I created this thread to discuss Octane, Tunes, and Ethanol. None of which you should care about...well cause you think it is all crap. I will not be responding to you anymore in this thread. Others can, but you and what you say has ZERO value to me. You have proven through many posts in many threads to have ZERO idea what you are talking about.
So...your advising other owners on something you have not done? When you actually do it, please post back with a video. Let's see some vids, of the 'super explorer' also. Until then you get my eye roll...

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For those that want to see some proof...here is the text and links.

Here is straight off of BrewCityBoost's Website for Ethanol content the Stock Pumps can handle with their tuning based on Motor. The 2018+ Expeditions have the same 2nd Gen 3.5TT the current F150's have:

Ethanol: Running an ethanol mixed fuel is an inexpensive way to increase the octane rating of your fuel. The percentage of ethanol a stock F150 will support will vary by production year, or if the truck has an upgraded HPFP. If you live in a colder climate an ethanol mixed tune may not be advised to run in the winter. Typical ethanol mixed tune limits for stock fueling systems are:

• 2011-2016 3.5L F150 – E30
  • 2017+ 3.5 F150 – E50
  • 2015-2017 2.7L F150 – E30
  • 2018+ 2.7L F150 – up to 100% E85
https://www.brewcityboost.com/product/ecoboost-f150-tune-file-for-ngauge-hpt-mvpi-2/
Here is straight from 5Star:

Our e50 tune nets 553 horsepower on our 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost 4wd 150! This application is all stock with the exception of our tune file. We have the tune dialed in and have just released the new files!

https://5startuning.com/now-released-e30-e50-tunes-for-your-2017-2019-f150-3-5l-ecoboost/

That is 2 of the big tuners for the F150 in the business, both saying E50.

I personally ran E30 in my 2017 Expedition 2 times. Again, it was the Wife's daily driver, and the E85 equipped station was not as easy as the Kroger to fill up or it would have been run more regularly. With tuning it was FUN!!!

Pretty sure @Mike Wolfe has run 5Star's E30 or E50 tune on his 2018 Expedition? Let's see if he can give us any numbers for the new gen.

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
I'm running 91 octane in my 2020 Plat in regular driving mode because Exxon has the cheapest gas nearby and they don't offer any higher than 91. I also don't trust Costco gas.

Expy drives wonderfully, but considering enabling eco mode to save more $. At what point is higher octane plus eco mode the right choice? When driving primarily local only?

Craigga542

Reaction score
I am going to make a few general statements, and I am sure there will be some that disagree.

Fuel Octane:
  • 91+ Octane is recommended in EcoBoosts, and needed to to reach factory power numbers.
  • 91+ Octane will give you better MPG's.
  • 87 Octane will run fine with less power and slightly less MPG's.
Fuel Ethanol Content:
  • Ford Manual says E15 is the max that should be run.
  • Ethanol WILL NOT damage the fuel system(Even at higher than E15).
  • Max Ethanol content you should run on stock tuning is E20.(Ford allows buffer because a station labeled as E15 might not be mixed well).
  • Max Ethanol that can be run with tuning on the Stock Pump is E50.
  • Higher Ethanol content typically means lower MPG.
General Assumptions that are accurate:
  • Greater the Octane(Within Reason) on stock tuning the greater the power. Above 93 the gains drastically decrease.
  • Greater the Octane(Within Reason) on stock tuning the better the MPG. Above 93 you will see little to no difference.
  • Greater the Ethanol the less the MPG.
  • Greatest Power Levels on Stock tuning, within parameters of the Manual, are attained with E15 Treated 93 Octane Premium.
  • Greatest MPG's on Stock tuning, within parameters of the Manual are attained on 93 Premium Octane with E0.
I am playing with various Tuners and fuels on the 2020 currently and will post those results when I have them.

So far I have Tested HyperTech(87 & 93), LMS(93 & Maybe E30) currently, and ZFG Racing(93 and E50) is coming.

Why does 93 E15 create more power than 93 E0? I’m not following as the octane ratings are the same. Is it due to ethanol’s greater cooling capacity?

LGE_CTS_motors

Reaction score
Why does 93 E15 create more power than 93 E0? I’m not following as the octane ratings are the same. Is it due to ethanol’s greater cooling capacity?

That is exactly why, the cooler and denser air charge from ethanol allow for more power to be made.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

What they said...

When tuning, you can actually get more power out of 87 with E10, vs 94 with E0. That is the part that most people don’t understand. Ethanol has additional advantages other than higher Octane.

The disadvantage being lower MPG, because of lower Energy content per volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Balderdash! Ethanol is an octane enhancer. It's use began after MTBE was banned. Stations in my area sell 93 octane with 10% ethanol. I use it in my Lincoln 32V V8. Octane sole purpose is anti spark knock. Lack of spark knock allows maximum timing(max power). 93 octane is 93, no matter what fuel. There is a push against future E15 sales. The current E10 mandate, is considered the highest that should be run. Ethanol absorbs water. Oil water/fuel mixing is a bad thing.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeroday