Electric Fan Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donl

Reaction score
Won't bother with the back story but having difficult finding a direct fit electric fan kit for my '03 Expedition. Apparently there are two different radiators for this vehicle; left/right and top/bottom tanks and mine is top/bottom which prohibits the install of kits like Flex A Lit. So, it looks like a universal kit will be required. I have found some FF Dynamics fans for this vehicle that look promising but, like all the universal kits I have looked at is designed to attach with the "zip" tie type fasteners. I have been researching and apparently many fans have been installed this way but I am a little hesitant. Seems the installs with issues were those where the nylon fasteners were installed to tight, shrank under the heat and broke.

Looking for feedback from anyone that has installed fans using the "zip" tie attachments.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't installed fan with those zip ties but I have installed some oil coolers with them. Granted they are much lighter than fans, but I didn't have any issues. I would worry about the weight of the fan pulling on those zip ties which may cause a leak on a tube going through the radiator core.

I would look into using some brackets (will have to be custom obviously) or that metal strap with holes every inch or so.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's called plumbers tape. A lot of car stereo shops have similar brackets with multi holes. They use them to support the back of car stereo decks.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
Update; another forum member looking for fans for an '03-'04 Expedition might benefit from the below information. Contacted FF Dynamics this morning regarding their fan kits for Expeditions; their response follows:

2003 and 2004 have down flow radiators on the Expedition. It was the only 2 years that Ford did this, as they found out it was a big mistake and the trucks ran hot, so they went back to cross flow radiators in 2005.

Because of the down flow radiator, you would need an extreme system that includes hand built aluminum shrouds. It would be built for the down flow radiator and it will use our stabilizing through core straps to install. There is no need to worry about the longevity of this set up, as our tie straps are made of industrial nylon and our fan and shroud combo weighs in at around 5 lbs. We have been building fan systems for over 25 years now, we know what works and what does not. We have build a few dozen 2003-2004 Expedition systems, with no issues with the mounting hardware we provide and no issues with cooling. We are the only company that builds a system specific for 03-04 down flow Expeditions and Navigators. Pricing is $389 with free shipping anywhere in the US. It will come with dual hand built aluminum shrouds with our extreme fans mounted onto them. Comes with our extreme fan control system, all wiring, relays and fuses and mounting hardware. It is custom built to order so it may take 2-4 days to be built and then shipped.

I will add that I don't recall my '03 running not in the 15 years I have owned it and/or the 145K miles I have rolled up but I have never towed anything and 90% of the miles have been my daily 30 mile round trip work commute and a few road trips of less than 3000 miles round trip. Anyway, I ordered a set this of these this morning. Google FF Dynamics and check out their hardware.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Won't bother with the back story but having difficult finding a direct fit electric fan kit for my '03 Expedition. Apparently there are two different radiators for this vehicle; left/right and top/bottom tanks and mine is top/bottom which prohibits the install of kits like Flex A Lit. So, it looks like a universal kit will be required. I have found some FF Dynamics fans for this vehicle that look promising but, like all the universal kits I have looked at is designed to attach with the "zip" tie type fasteners. I have been researching and apparently many fans have been installed this way but I am a little hesitant. Seems the installs with issues were those where the nylon fasteners were installed to tight, shrank under the heat and broke.

Looking for feedback from anyone that has installed fans using the "zip" tie attachments.

Ever heard of an aluminum zip tie? Using these you'll never encounter the issue of them drying up and breaking off

stainless-look-gardner-bender-cable-ties-45-312ss-64_1000.jpg

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
Yes I have; used plenty wrapping head pipes on Harleys; mostly Sportys. However, I used the term "zip" ties loosely. The fans are not attached with conventional zip ties but with industrial nylon strap, shock ring and locking disc that is secured by the zip tie principal.

fan attachment straps.JPG

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder if it's possible to convert it to a side flow radiator.

Might not be too terribly hard: new coolant hoses, new transmission lines..... Could get the transmission lines from a junkyard- or even run rubber lines. But I'd bet the radiator mounts the same way.

that is, if the other fan set up doesn't work out.

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
[QUOTE="ExplorerTom]I wonder if it's possible to convert it to a side flow radiator.

Might not be too terribly hard: new coolant hoses, new transmission lines..... Could get the transmission lines from a junkyard- or even run rubber lines. But I'd bet the radiator mounts the same way.

that is, if the other fan set up doesn't work out.[/QUOTE]

Considered that option but confident the FF Dynamics fan setup will work; it is designed for the '03-'04 Expedition down flow radiators. Now if I can get the header problem sorted out, the underhood work will be complete and on to body and paint.;)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theirs pros and cons to both styles. Trucks and large older vehicles use top to bottom flow. They have a tall hood so clearance wasn't an issue, as the rads themselves are generally taller. Smaller sports cars, or any vehicle that would have an interferance hood, would opt for side flow. It's been said that because the taller stature of down flows, and their cap location, they'd build pressure sooner, and in some cases, overheat easier. Both designs in reality work well, a lot of the cooling has to do with airflow in/out, and of course water pump pumping, and engine design. Our op, should in my opinion stay with the top to bottom radiator, that his motor, and year was designed for. I agree with Habbibie on the metal straps, or find some bolt down bracket combo. I'm sure their out their. Maybe racers use something trick. Check with some of the larger outfits like Ron Woods racing. Cooling is what they do. They ain't cheap, but they are good.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry meant Ron Davis, not Woods.