Electric fans loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same with my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new - very loud, roaring fans. I returned it to the dealer and was told it was normal. There is no mention in the vehicle owner’s manual of excessive noise from the fans under certain conditions.
Well Thts like 9/9 on someone having it and being told it’s normal. We r beating a dead horse here guys

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same with my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new - very loud, roaring fans. I returned it to the dealer and was told it was normal. There is no mention in the vehicle owner’s manual of excessive noise from the fans under certain conditions.
The manual is not going to say anything derogatory that makes a vehicle less appealing.

Also; It's normal! :33:

JacobMcL

Reaction score
I have had a 2015 for 120k miles that I bought new. I also service several other for family. Fans that are on high that makes people comment are NOT normal. In my ownership two things have caused high fans- the AC system needs servicing like low charge, pressure sensor, compressor, expansion valve. Or a coolant system has an issue like aftermarket water pump, thermostat failure, coolant level ect. I have experienced issues from both Systems. Under normal driving the fans should not be on high. It has been triple digits lately and my fans have not gone to high speed.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OGBobbyjohnson - we're in Florida as well. We've had our 2012 for about 7 years now and noticed the 'loud' fan mode for the first time about when you posted as well. I noted first, then mentioned to my wife. Sure enough, the next hot day she started up there it was. Once we get moving, however it stops and typically will not resume unless the vehicle sits at idle for an extended period.

I concluded that it's just another cooling mode they enable for when the ambient temp is up there. Not of concern IMHO.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you trying to suggest that you tune is actively working the thermostat?
The tune does not Work the tstat. But it dies tell my fans to kick on earlier than stock setting. I don’t see above 190 anymore EVER. Stock id see 225-230

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it - not 'open early (i.e. thermostat), but 'turn fans on sooner'. Every 5.4 I've looked at has a traditional thermostat housing which means its the classic passive design (thermally actuated spring).

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it - not 'open early (i.e. thermostat), but 'turn fans on sooner'. Every 5.4 I've looked at has a traditional thermostat housing which means its the classic passive design (thermally actuated spring).
Oh no it opens earlier too

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the thermostat opens earlier by it's 170 design, not because some other device makes it do so. I meant it opens at 170 regardless of your tune. Active valves are valves which have an external impetus to change the position, passive means you don't have to take action, it will do it on it's own (like a check valve). The spring in the thermostat is what opens it - it's designed to expand and contract (push or pull the obturator) open and closed on or about the setpoint.