Enabling Trailer Brake Controller on 2018 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbrodude

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently installed an OEM trailer brake controller, TBC, on my truck. Then I realized I am unable to use Forscan to enable it because there is a limitation with writing to the IPC module. So I relented and took it to the dealer to enable with FDRS. But they don't seem to know what that are doing. The guy mentioned seeing a TBC module setting that maybe he tried to enable but the computer wheel just spun and spun. Basically he did nothing.

You guys have any pointers? Anything I should tell the dealer to educate them?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you add the dash mounted switch (JL3Z-2C006-AA) only, or did you add an additional module elsewhere?

Reason I ask I see two different modules, one for vehicles WITH trailer assist (GL3Z-19H332-D) and the one you probably could need, for without trailer assist (FL3Z-19H332-E)

I'd suspect Forscan and/or dealer tool would have given an error about not being able to communicate with the missing module. Could be the reason for spinning wheel?

I'm 100% speculating here, so good luck.

OP
OP
T

Turbrodude

Reaction score
Yes, I only added the dash mounted switch PN: JL3Z-2C006-AA. The Expy is Limited trim so already includes the Trailer Module (maybe they all have the trailer module, I can't remember). My understanding was that I only needed to add the switch and then turn that sucker on via the IPC settings to enable TBC and Gain Control. I did also confirm that I have the fuse installed and fuse box is correct. Apparently some of the 2018's did not have the correct fuses installed and wired up from the factory. Forscan recognizes that there is a Trailer Brake Control module, so I think that's a good sign.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They will need to use Fords online programming and SAE J2534 pass-thru tools, the stand alone system will not work on the IPC module. The tech may not be aware of it since the IPC module is the only one I am aware of that needs online programming so far.

OP
OP
T

Turbrodude

Reaction score
Thanks Uturn. Just using FDRS as opposed to IDS is not enough? There is more than one method of using FDRS?

2DaSand

Reaction score
I had this installed at my local dealer. It functions, and changes on the dash, and appears to be working. So far I have only pulled 1 trailer with brakes, and I did not notice them working. Even squeezing the manual lever, nothing happened. Now for the record, this was a friends trailer, not mine and I cannot swear the brakes are good. If it shows on the dash, and gain adjusts, etc does that mean everything is likely ok?

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this installed at my local dealer. It functions, and changes on the dash, and appears to be working. So far I have only pulled 1 trailer with brakes, and I did not notice them working. Even squeezing the manual lever, nothing happened. Now for the record, this was a friends trailer, not mine and I cannot swear the brakes are good. If it shows on the dash, and gain adjusts, etc does that mean everything is likely ok?
Next time try pulling the emergency breakaway switch on the trailer...

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Uturn. Just using FDRS as opposed to IDS is not enough? There is more than one method of using FDRS?

Yes, you only need the switch module installed into the dash and then the ford dealer needs to activate this module. I have an ‘18 Limited and this was exactly what I did.

Installed the module myself into its slot in the dash, told the first dealer to go fly a kite when they wanted $150 to activate the switch. Called another local Ford dealer and asked the service manager to please activate it for $50. He agreed and has earned my business moving forward over the other dealer.