ENGINE BLOCK HEATER CORD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cynthia2963

Reaction score
Just had an engine block heater installed at the dealership on my 2017 EL. They told me I needed a cord to plug it in. Will a regular outdoor extension cord work?

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just had an engine block heater installed at the dealership on my 2017 EL. They told me I needed a cord to plug it in. Will a regular outdoor extension cord work?

It should. Drag a cord out there and compared the plug to the end of the cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrbadwrench

Reaction score
Some extension cords are designed to remain flexible in cold weather. You also probably need a 14 AWG cord or possibly a 12 AWG cord depending on length.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't go less than 12 AWG, and keep the length as short as possible. On my old work bus, I had the 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel w/factory block heater. Two hours was all it took to fire that baby. I made up about a 10' ext. and it would be warm. Not sure of my old or your new wattage though...

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my Diesel E-Superduty, it was rolled up and zip tied in (behind) the front bumper. Mine was factory installed.
I was going to say that Idon't have one on my EL LTD, but you have me thinking, so now I'll check. Never knew I had one on the van either until I read it somewhere...