Engine death rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ninjafied

Reaction score
I have a 2007 expedition max 5.4l
I need some help. Not always but on occasion when at idle in gear my motor sounds as if it's coming apart, all of a sudden it will start to to rattle, shake and run like shit. It's only happened either when I'm sitting in a drive though for a long time or when reversing my boat trailer up my driveway. My plugs and coils are less that a year old and I just changed the vvt solenoids. I get no warning lights on the dash and while it's happening my oil pressure stays constant. Any ideas on what to look for next?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles? If you changed the VCT Solenoids with no change I’m going to lean towards time for a timing job. Oil pressure is likely dropping low and the gauge won’t zero out until <8 PSI anyway. OEM solenoids?

GaryB

Reaction score
esh...What kind of mileage? been maintained regularly? Start following ford tech makuloco's 5.4 playlist on youtube and see if it's related to any of these issues he points out.

Matticus

Reaction score
I've been having this issue on a 2012 that has a recently rebuilt motor in it. Been doing it for months. Mine finally threw a code the other day: p0394 - Powertrain - Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit Intermittent (Bank 2). Goes away if I rev the engine slightly. It would only do it when I was on an incline. In addition to this, there is sometimes a bit of a "lunge" under light throttle when the engine is around 1500rpms. It's like the engine suddenly falls flat on power as it up shifts to 2, 3 and 4 and then gets little "surges' of power that make it feel like it's downshifting/upshifting over and over again. It does this until I either give it a little more throttle or it gets above 2000 rpms.

I'm taking to the guy that did the rebuild/motor swap today now that it finally has a code. We'll see what he says

OP
OP
N

ninjafied

Reaction score
after watching makuloco playlist on the 5.4 i'm pretty sure the problem im having is in fact a blown out seal on the timing chain tensioner. i've ordered a new timing set with phasers as well as the oil pump. i'm curious if any of you have attempted this job and approximately how long it took to complete.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
There's a recent post that said it was a weekend's work. Stripping the components Friday afternoon and working 'till you're fed up on Saturday and Sunday...

OP
OP
N

ninjafied

Reaction score
Perfect I'll get started Saturday morning and work till I'm done or take the bus to work on Monday

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While you're in there, you might want to do the passenger side rocker arm rollers too. Apparently those can do quite a bit of damage when they seize, and they do wear out / seize regardless of oil changes.