Engine death rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

ninjafied

Reaction score
so i finally got off my ass and dove into the job of tearing my motor apart, i followed along with makuloco's guide on youtube, so very helpful. while in there i found both banks tensioner seals were blown out and the right banks stationary guide was broken. the camshafts and roller rockers were all in great shape. changing the oil pump during the job was quick and easy. all said and done the job took about 15 hours and i couldn't be happier with the results.

OP
OP
N

ninjafied

Reaction score
a week later and everything is still going strong. finally got the chance to take my boat out for a drive and when i returned home zero issues backing up my driveway. thank you all for advice and thank you to makuloco for all you videos on youtube. i could not have done this otherwise.

Viperhawke

Reaction score
I was looking at the same video and am also looking to do the project. Any tips? Also where and what parts did you get? Special tools? How much did it all cost?

The truck has 309K on it... Worth doing? Shop said they think it may just by cheaper to swap in a new motor... And that repairing the top end may be a waste because then I might need to do bottom end... Maybe y'all can help guide my decision?

Thanks again!
Viperhawke

so i finally got off my ass and dove into the job of tearing my motor apart, i followed along with makuloco's guide on youtube, so very helpful. while in ther i found both banks tensioner seals were blown out and the right banks stationary guide was broken. the camshafts and roller rockers were all in great shape. changing the oil pump during the job was quick and easy. all said and done the job took about 15 hours and i couldn't be happier with the results.

OP
OP
N

ninjafied

Reaction score
i bought everything on amazon including the special tools recommended for the job. the valve spring compressor is a must, the crank aligning tool and phaser locking tool will make your life easier. i also bought the oil pump to replace cause your already in there. so order the timing set with phasers and the rest of the stuff mentioned along with new vct solenoids. all in it cost me about $600 here in canada so you'll probably find better prices in the states.
after that you'll need a weekend to do the job. so if doing the job your self go for it. if your paying a garage to do it you might just want to look for a new truck, it'll be cheaper