Engine rattling and transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
Regarding the wastegate noise, there is no fix for it and its normal wastegate noise which is what my dealer said
They might have said there's no fix as there is no official Ford fix for it. There does appear to be a workaround/fix to stop the rattle if it is indeed the turbo waste gate. See https://www.f150forum.com/f118/3-5-wastegate-rattle-fixed-507919/ for details. I haven't done this on mine as the rattle quiets down about time the engine idle drops after start, so it's not a big deal for me.

bityw

Reaction score
They might have said there's no fix as there is no official Ford fix for it. There does appear to be a workaround/fix to stop the rattle if it is indeed the turbo waste gate. See https://www.f150forum.com/f118/3-5-wastegate-rattle-fixed-507919/ for details. I haven't done this on mine as the rattle quiets down about time the engine idle drops after start, so it's not a big deal for me.
Just for OP’s info…

I did this fix a year ago. Works great. No rattle. No adverse effects. Took 1 minute to do while under there to change oil.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They need to do the TSB for slipping. Mine only got worse and started falling out of gear more often. It can be dangerous tell them. Mine slipped out on the highway passing someone and left me to coast with traffic around me until I could get back over to the right lanes. They replaced CDF drum bushing and it has fixed the issue. Waste gate rattle at cold start up they still haven't touched. They keep saying its within normal range BS. I do think the spring installed on linkage helps as suggested in forum.

Reaction score
Not seeing anybody mention the cam phaser issue, have you considered that as the source of the start-up noise? There is a TSB on it, I cannot imagine how doing this work could be avoided.

Re the transmission, read the TSB, share the symptoms as described in the TSB that are relevant.

Personally I have had the cam phaser replaced and had some work on transmission (shift solenoid if I recall). That didn't resolve transmission issues, an enormous pounding clunk while towing didn't take it down but when I returned the dealer concluded a full rebuild is necessary. It is my understanding that new parts were made available ahead of the TSB.

I purchased extended warranty because these issues don't look that easy to resolve. Failing success with a dealer, I'd suggest that. You're going to end up rebuilding that transmission one way or the other.

Craig Payne

Reaction score
I've shared a few of my repairs in other threads as I've had a lot, but I'll throw in my 2 cents here because I've experienced both of these issues. Of note, my vehicle is currently in the shop for this right now so I can't comment yet on how effective these most recent fixes are.

Rattling:
- I have had rattling for a long time in my Expedition. I've taken it in 2 times for the rattling over the past couple of years and they have found each time that it is beyond what should be expected for the engine. They have replaced different parts including and related to the cam phasers each time, though never done anything with the turbo relating to rattle. That said, this time they really wanted to ensure they had it nailed down before doing cam phaser work and so after a significant amount of diagnostics, discovered the starter was rattling and are replacing it. I'm hopeful this was why the other fixes didn't work.
- The big thing to note here is that there could be a lot of things rattling and unfortunately, sometimes, it means fixing what you think it is and driving it for a few weeks to see if that truly was all of the issue, some of the issue, or not the issue at all.

Transmission:
- I've had hard shifting and poor transmission performance for a while, but the dealership has been great about moving me through the process. My advice though, is be willing to engage with the process. The TSB has like 3 or 4 steps and each one really needs significant testing afterwards by the owner to confirm whether or not it worked. Part of this is due to the re-learning process, and from what I read of the TSB, the technicians are specifically instructed to tell the owner after service that it will shift oddly for a little while post service. It stinks but it's because not all transmission issues are the CDF drum, which is the last step of the TSB. I believe it starts with a reprogram, moves to replacing a few other items, valves and a pump maybe? Then ends with the rebuild for the CDF drum depending on the age of the vehicle, (transmissions before some time in 2022 I think).
- One additional thing to note here is that it could be multiple issues at once. When they did the step that involved the valves on my Expedition, it seemed like it fixed the issue at first but then the issue came back, which allowed them to move to the next step of the process. All of that said, my service person laid all of this out for me from the TSB the very first time I brought it in for the transmission so I knew exactly what to expect as we moved through each step of the process.

I know this last part isn't super helpful in a situation where the warranty is running out in 1,000 miles, but my best advice for others here is don't wait if you notice an issue. Some of these TSB's take time and the earlier you engage with the service process for it, the more options and flexibility there is for the vehicle to hopefully end up on the right side of a full odometer.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
Not seeing anybody mention the cam phaser issue, have you considered that as the source of the start-up noise? There is a TSB on it, I cannot imagine how doing this work could be avoided.
Well, I think I'd rather go spend $7 on a couple springs, do that fix, and see if all the noise goes away. If it does, it's probably not the cam phasers. As diagnostic fees go, $7 is about as cheap as it gets. ;)