Engine Question for fun.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So if your blows up what do you do assume 5.4 2v?

Rebuild 4.6 or 5.4 2v
try make a 5.4 3v work
try make a lighting motor work 2v or 3v
try make V10 2v or 3v work
or total custom Diesel, turbos etc.....

the V10 interest me 3v 362HP and 457 torque ( if my numbers are right)
it's like a lighting but no premium gas ...
I may be wrong with the #'s

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
This has sorta been covered but you did change the options and conditions...lol.

If I had the money I would have twin turbos and built 5.4

Old video of Casey's 2002 twin turbo lightning. 5.4 2v with trick flow heads. Apparently they work really well with turbos.

Twin Turbo Lightning - YouTube

I have yet to see a 3v lightning but it has been done with 4v navigator heads so assume an adapter could be fabricated to mate with the lower intake.

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do a twin turbo navigator 4V. stock they are like 350hp. imagine the trouble you could get into then.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sell it for parts and find a Excursion with a 7.3 Turbo Diesel. ;-)

Of course, it might be fun to wedge a slightly modified 5.4 4v Shelby mill under the hood of the Expedition...

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
do a twin turbo navigator 4V. stock they are like 350hp. imagine the trouble you could get into then.

They were rated 300hp... same as the newer (vs the 32v 5.4) 3v motors. Many lightning owners have done the 4v heads plus turbo mod as well and they run very strong but Caseys I believe is the fastest street lightning. Runs 8.80's in the 1/4.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you visit the lightning forums, there are many potent combinations that would work just as well in the expedition. Carrying a bit more weight though... :( But no turbo diesels... sorry.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if unlimited money a built twin turbo 5.4. would love a 1500hp "daily driver"

OP
OP
Canadian Expy

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I could I might even wedge the old 429 I had, but I was thinking more everday use, towing.
Thats why the V10 is interesting, dosen't someone make a blower for it ?
I guess you could put a turbo on it. You can't beat the displacement

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If I could I might even wedge the old 429 I had, but I was thinking more everday use, towing.
Thats why the V10 is interesting, dosen't someone make a blower for it ?
I guess you could put a turbo on it. You can't beat the displacement

I think the 5.4 with 4v or tfs heads would trump the v10 in performance applications. The V10 is somewhat limited with performance mods basically due to the heads. It is great for low end torque though and where the displacement really shines. Stock vs stock it obviously holds the edge.

The 5.4 shares the same basic design as used in the mustangs, lightnings, etc... so there is much better aftermarket support.

I am sure a V10 could be made to put down some significant #'s but it would be more difficult due to the lack of support and likely involve some custom fabrication.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badbolr