Engine Ticking Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jourdan18

Reaction score
I saw that there is an aftermarket cam phaser on you tube that shows a video with the bad cam phaser noise and after they installed the aftermarket one. The noise completely disappeared! I just hate to spend 900 bucks to replace both cam phasers tho...By the way the cam phaser was the one making noise on my expedition and not the timing chain tensioner.

edadmartin

Reaction score
cam phaser? what is that?

I also have a mild ticking ,I can hear it at idle most all the time. seems like left side near firewall. What is a cam phaser, what is the problem with just letting it tick on. What happens when it ticks? Is it not being lubed? When it goes completely what happens. Ive heard about a recall, where can I find out more about it? thanks

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys these engines are prone to throw plugs as well anyone else having this issue check to make sure your plugs arnt loose or backing out.

OP
OP
J

jourdan18

Reaction score
@Martin, just google 2006 expedition cam phaser TSB Recall and it should pop out. For what I've heard the ticking is really annoying but could still run without having to fix it. I am getting mine replaced when it's time to replace the timing chain and tensioners, so you could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

OP
OP
J

jourdan18

Reaction score
@Fanatic, the sparkplugs is kinda like a multi-piece (stupid design). The proper way to replace it is at room temp. (engine not running at least 8 hours). Don't apply more than 33 ft. lbs when loosening the plugs or theres a possibility that you will leave the outter part attached to the engine block and it's a pain to take it out and the kit extractor is expensive. They suggest to spray or two of carb cleaner on top the plug before you take it out and let it sit for an hour, loosen 1 turn and spray one more let it sit for 30 mins. then take it off completely. You don't wanna spray more or your engine could hydro lock.

KC Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fanatic, The "throwing a plug" was on the regular 5.4 engine which would stip the threads and spit the plug out. Not the 3 valve 5.4 which had the 2 piece plug as Jourdan said (Those seized in the head). As for the problem in this thread, if it was a noisy injector, cam Phaser, or tensioner, wouldnt the sound or ticking speed up with engine RPM?

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive noticed a tick with any triton v8 Ive ever worked on/with, there just there, doesnt seem to cause any issues

Last edited:

VaBeachBlazo

Reaction score
I also have the ticking noise in my 05, after searching and reading for a few hours, i read that it can caused by using the wrong oil or oil filter, the motorcraft has some kjnd of special valve in it, on person fixed it by tighting a loose spark plug, several people had warped/bad gasket from exhaust manifold.. then a good majority was cam phasers had to be relpaced, "VCT Solenoid" on a couple to fix it, there was alot of argument about using a heavier oil to fix it..im about to tackle this problem myself the tick is bothering the hell out of me ..."ehow.com" even touches on the issue here: http://www.ehow.com/way_5902854_5_4-ford-engine-noise-remedy.html

Dont mean to link a different forum but this link has alot of info on the 5.4L tick: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/772197-to-those-of-you-with-ticking-5-4l-motors.html

Last edited:

edadmartin

Reaction score
2006 expedition cam phaser TSB Recall

Ive searched the Ford tsb page and got no hits for a cam phaser recall,If you know where the link is ,could you post it? thanks

Richard Lewis

Reaction score
I just did mine it took me 8 hours labor and $180 in parts i could do it in half the time now i know were everything is at thats the price the dealer gave me $2400.00 i told them to f*** off the whole kit with tensioners and chain is only 180.00 dollars