Engine warm up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"when I was a young moose, we had carburetors with heat sensitive coil springs on the carbs. They worked either by electric current, or in earlier ones by a tube from the exhaust up to the carb."

That is some funny stuff right there!

My dad used to drive an XKE w 12 cylinders in a row, he also had a Conentinal. They weren't new but he liked them. When the first gas crunch hit in 73, he bought what was the Civic. The choke was a rod to the plate going up through a "cup" filled with wax. You got in, pressed the petal once or 100 times, the rod stuck in the wax & choke activated until the heat of the engine would melt it allowing the rod/plate to open. Not sure if the EGR ran though as it did on many cars but it still holds "my record" for weirdest but cool tech.

Yeah, I warm my engines since "cold engine/cold oil" & "hot engine/cold oil" combinations are both #2 & 3 on the most destructive time any engine is run(startup is #1).

jeff

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 08 van with the 5.4 2v has a case of piston slap since about 10,000 miles ( now has 102,000 mi.) . If I don’t let it warm up it sounds like it’s gonna fly apart until the pistons swell and close the tolerances. I’m definitely not taking advice from the EPA or the DOE. Once the engine is operating temperature it sounds and runs great. A lot of piston slap problems with newer engines are because of shorter skirts or skirtless pistons designed for less rotating weight for fuel mileage. Thanks EPA !

Plati

Reaction score
My 08 van with the 5.4 2v has a case of piston slap since about 10,000 miles ( now has 102,000 mi.) . If I don’t let it warm up it sounds like it’s gonna fly apart until the pistons swell and close the tolerances. I’m definitely not taking advice from the EPA or the DOE. Once the engine is operating temperature it sounds and runs great. A lot of piston slap problems with newer engines are because of shorter skirts or skirtless pistons designed for less rotating weight for fuel mileage. Thanks EPA !
First time I've ever heard anyone complain about shorter skirts. Ha!:burnout:

Plati

Reaction score
This is actually a bit more complicated than I originally thought. You have a lot of factors in play at startup. Temperature of the oil and related viscosity. Oil pressure and flow. Parts expansion and tolerances. Rich fuel air mixture and related washing of lubricant. Fuel economy aspects (few care about this one). Clearly engine startup is the highest engine wear event ... In an otherwise healthy system.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My company has thousands of generators across the globe. Dozen in every large city. A fair number of the smaller fixed ones are Generac ranging between 50kW - 90kW, most of them powered by...... Ford 5.4L V8s.

Once a month they are test started and immediately throttled up and full load applied. Makes no difference if they are gasoline, propane, or CNG powered. Ran full and hard for 30 minutes and then shut down for the next 30 days or until the local electric company has an outage. (outage = meth head recycling copper)

Example out of its enclosure:
35-kW-Generac-LP-Generator-4.jpg

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We let all our vehicles warm up to normal operating temperature before driving. If that means running for 15 minutes on cold mornings so be it.

So let’s be clear: even in the summer, you let it idle and get up to 192+ degrees before driving? How are you even determining that it is up to temp anyway? The dummy gauge on the dash?

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So let’s be clear: even in the summer, you let it idle and get up to 192+ degrees before driving? How are you even determining that it is up to temp anyway? The dummy gauge on the dash?

I didn't understand it that way. The original post states "when it is cold, well below freezing". I think he's responding to what he does in this type of weather.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't understand it that way. The original post states "when it is cold, well below freezing". I think he's responding to what he does in this type of weather.

So at 40 degrees (above freezing, but not by much) is the engine still allowed to get to operating temp before driving? At what temp do you just get in, start it up, let come off high idle and go?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Either you let the engine and transmission warm up a bit or you drive very lightly until it warms up. Only a woman would nail it when the thing's cold. Good way to wear things out fast.

Many folks don't realize that the government's EPA pays media outlets millions to print propaganda pieces like the one mentioned. Don't trust much you read in the mainstream. It's paid content.