Engine warm up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5.4L uses forged pistons, my understanding is that forged pistons are prone to cold piston slap despite being heavier duty.

GM LS motors get piston slap commonly, does not really hurt the engine in the long run but sounds like hell when cold.
Yeah I also have 09 Can Am Outlander 800 Atv that has a really bad (noisy) case of piston slap. My 2011 Outlander 800 is quiet as a church mouse but doesn’t run as good as the 09 slapper. That thing just flies.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I let it idle as I scrape the windows (but I park in a garage at home).

And then there's this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...driving/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bed548fad1ce

But some people also change their oil every 3,000 miles.

That article admitted it was solely based on fuel and emissions.

I don't think anything needs to idle or warm up over 10 minutes but it can have a beneficial effect on longevity or at least wear on engine and some other parts vs starting and taking off like it was 70 out.

I always baby a cold car only lightly cracking throttle for first few minutes. But heck, I never pass 1/4 throttle in the whole time I own some cars. "Old man in Lincoln"

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try to give my engines Wide Open Throttle occasionally. It’s good for them, runs the oil through hard, cleans carbon deposits, etc. Always been a believer engines like to be run and need to be run hard every now and again. That being said I too go light on the gas until warmed up. No good to ram the gas cold.

In the boating world we always give them nice long Wide Open Throttle runs every few rides to keep them exercised and clean. Some like to baby engines......I’ve never been one to do so....I religiously maintain (tune ups, oil, etc).....but I run them hard now and again.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to say " I give them gas, water, and oil. If they blow up it's the engines fault!"

I've had more blown up than I care to remember. Lots of thursday night test and tunes and fri and sat running the streets light to light until we we had enough gas to get the last person dropped off and get the car back home. So you could bum some gas money from Mom the next day or monday.

It is good to blow the carbon out every now and then. But on the old modulars in cars with plastic intakes I have purposely made them fail more than once.
There was a recall for police/taxi/limo and myself and friends had several that qualified.
This was when ford wanted 640 for the intake and job was about 1100-1200.
We could get a new intake mail order for 349.00 at the time but if it was covered...

It had to break though.

Amazing how many cracked and leaked with one or two good kick downs on the highway. 20mph 1st gear kick down to shift to 2nd usually did it.
These mods with ohv are know to flex around more. Some people don't like ohv because of the head/cam flex.
But this was usually enough to pop them.
We were 14 miles from dealer or choice. We would hop on highway and kick it down and when we go there look for leaks and key drop it in the lot or drive it back if no cracks.

I have JB weld topped with rtv several to get them there.

If you have something that is going to break soon or eventually anyway....kicking them down can very well break it NOW. If you keep babying it as you have been, you might never "straw" and break that camel's back. You might sell it or trade it in with nothing having broken yet.

So it's a catch 22. On my play cars. I drive them like I stole them. They are play toys and if it breaks I will replace it with something better, stronger, faster (cue music..dum dum da daaaa) Steve Austin astronaut..we can rebuild him.

My daily driver and wife's, son's, useful ones..I don't have time, patience, money to fix...so it's "Old Man in a Lincoln" driving for everyone!!!
Or " No soup for you"

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I try to give my engines Wide Open Throttle occasionally. It’s good for them, runs the oil through hard, cleans carbon deposits, etc. Always been a believer engines like to be run and need to be run hard every now and again. That being said I too go light on the gas until warmed up. No good to ram the gas cold.

In the boating world we always give them nice long Wide Open Throttle runs every few rides to keep them exercised and clean. Some like to baby engines......I’ve never been one to do so....I religiously maintain (tune ups, oil, etc).....but I run them hard now and again.
You especially had to air out the old 4bbl. carbureted engines every now and then or the secondary linkage would sieze up. My grandad showed me when I was a kid, he’d take me out in his old 472 ci. Coupe DeVille Caddy and as he always said “blow the carbon out”. He’d even take me in his Sisters old 425 ci. Nail head Buick out once a year at Christmas time when we were all together and blow the carbon out! She always swore it would run better when we brought it back. I remember it would cough and sputter when he’d kick into it the first few passes and then it would straighten out after a few good whind ups.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate those EPA puff pieces that assume everyone lives in California. Up here in -40C you plug your car in overnight if you can and remote start it 10 minutes before you get in. Otherwise the windows freeze up on the inside, power steering pumps blow lines, and the driver is in danger of frostbite before the car warms up. Further north the diesel guys let their engines run all day if it's really cold.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whether in FL , Alabama or now Albany, NY. Since I've owned fuel injected vehicles, I startup and go without warmup, unless I need to clear snow & scrape the windshield. I hate wasting gas for no reason. I do this for my motorcycles too.

No issues so far.

Now if the owner's manual said it was required, then I would do it but would wonder why.

Edit: I grew up near Canada in NYS and have had 3 V-8 camaros (2 while living in PA). 3 Dodges with v-8s.

Last edited:

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the vehicle is operating as it should why aren't designed features enough to do their jobs. Like engine oil pressure for proper lubrication or other operating limits. Why wouldn't starting the motor and driving off be OK? Otherwise, The owner's manual should tell us of dangerous conditions. I start the motor, wait for passengers to have seatbelts on and then check to see if it is clear to move. By then, the oil pressure is up and all should be good to go.

Plati

Reaction score
I hate those EPA puff pieces that assume everyone lives in California. Up here in -40C you plug your car in overnight if you can and remote start it 10 minutes before you get in. Otherwise the windows freeze up on the inside, power steering pumps blow lines, and the driver is in danger of frostbite before the car warms up. Further north the diesel guys let their engines run all day if it's really cold.
Do you know (or think) that engines wear out sooner with that COLD stress? What parts fail more prematurely, if any? Many say the most stressful time for an engine is cold oil startup … until all the parts normalize to an operating temperature, so that should be observable in engines up in the COLD north of beautiful Canada. Do they start to burn / consume oil sooner than a les stressful environment? My 2003 5.4 consumes a quart at 180K miles on the clock … by the time the 6K oil change rolls around. Just an estimate, dunt really know, just know I have to monitor and add oil once or twice.

minus 40 Celsius is equal to minus 40 Fahrenheit … only temp that happens (same number)!
Image13.gif

Last edited: