'22 Timberline rattle noise at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TimberExpy

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else has experienced/is experiencing this.

First, I'm not talking about the cam phasers (I think). The noise I'm hearing is coming from the underside of the truck.

As I'm sure you all know, when you first start the truck it idles higher - at about 1200 rpm or so - for about a minute. Then the idle drops down to about 800/900 rpm, and stays there a while until the engine is warmed up enough for it to finally settle the idle at about 500/600 rpm.

When my truck's idle drops that first time from 1200 to 800/900 rpm, there is a slight "shudder" in the idle, along with a strange rattling noise. It only last for a few seconds. I've recorded the noise with my mobile phone, but I'm not sure if that can be shared here.

I had wondered if it was a turbo noise, but 1) the truck only has 12k miles and 2) when I moved my phone mic closer to the turbo (the one that I could access via the driver wheel well), the recorded noise didn't seem any louder. But the noise definitely sounds like it's coming form the underside of the motor or the torque converter/transmission area. I could be wrong though.

Anyone else hearing this? There are other silly clicks and clacks and whatnot that this trucks has made from day 1, so I'm not sure if this is normal.... but I've not noticed it until recently.

TIA

UPDATE: It's actually an automatic wastegate valve adjustment or something that the engine does as start up. The motor moves the linkage back a forth a few times as the RPMs lower, and then it stops. I'm not sure what it's even doing.

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
quite likely you're hearing the wastegate rattles. Mine started at around 6k miles and eventually around 10k miles I finally got Ford to replace the Turbos, and the rattling noise went away. They did a TSB on the wastegate linkage but that didn't help, the replacement helped. now i'm at around 35k miles and the noise is coming back. It's just a crumby design. There are some folks on the F150 forums that add some springs and that seems to help, but I haven't been able to climb under try this yet, I do have the springs though. It's super annoying and only gets worse over time. I could hear mine for example when I would remote start my vehicle in a parking lot.

OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
quite likely you're hearing the wastegate rattles. Mine started at around 6k miles and eventually around 10k miles I finally got Ford to replace the Turbos, and the rattling noise went away. They did a TSB on the wastegate linkage but that didn't help, the replacement helped. now i'm at around 35k miles and the noise is coming back. It's just a crumby design. There are some folks on the F150 forums that add some springs and that seems to help, but I haven't been able to climb under try this yet, I do have the springs though. It's super annoying and only gets worse over time. I could hear mine for example when I would remote start my vehicle in a parking lot.
Hey thanks! Figured it out. Will be posting a video soon, if I can.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wastegate. That Ford acknowledges as a design defect (in-house) but tells all the people that spent $80,000 that its " normal turbo wastegate noise"

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its either the wastegate(s) or exhaust heat shield (clamp?
Mines are super loud. Ford refused to replace mine while still under the PT warranty at 58,000 miles while replacing other "newer" expeditions at lower mileage. Even when at operating temp the wastegates rattle when I rev the engine while driving or in park.

OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
Well it turns out that you can't post videos here in the forum, so I will just describe it. Forgive me if the terminology is wrong.

There is a wastegate linkage that runs between the gate and the actuator. Upon the first cool down step, it moves back and forth for a second or two... almost like it's calibrating or clearing or something. This is the sound im hearing. Note that I'm not talking about the linkage rattling per se, it's the noise of the electric motor moving it shortly after start up.

Interestingly, the one on this '22 doesn't look like the one's I'm seeing on older ecoboosts.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well it turns out that you can't post videos here in the forum, so I will just describe it. Forgive me if the terminology is wrong.

There is a wastegate linkage that runs between the gate and the actuator. Upon the first cool down step, it moves back and forth for a second or two... almost like it's calibrating or clearing or something. This is the sound im hearing. Note that I'm not talking about the linkage rattling per se, it's the noise of the electric motor moving it shortly after start up.

Interestingly, the one on this '22 doesn't look like the one's I'm seeing on older ecoboosts.
So basically FORD didnt fix the turbo rattle issue on the 22's as well.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a youtube account? I believe you can upload as a shared video and just share a link to the video. I could be wrong though.

OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
No I don’t. But that’s not a bad idea.

But the noise I’m hearing is the little electric motors/actuators (that control what I guess are the wastegate valves) making adjustments after start up. As soon as the engine is started, they move slightly, but after the initial high idle slows down, they move the linkage back and forth a few times. It’s like a squeaking mechanical sound…. Almost like if I could lubricate the linkages somehow, it would be as loud. It’s not a rattle, per se.