Engine Whining after start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

golfpromt

Reaction score
Hello all,

My '03 5.4 XLT with 172K started whining after start up. When you accelerate it goes away until you quit giving it gas then it comes back. I thought replacing the serpentine belt and the idle pulley would answer it but it didn't. Anyone have any ideas? I had an old Explorer that did the same thing.

Edwindo

Reaction score
Fan clutch maybe? Can you locate the sound in the engine compartment when its running?

Diamondtron24

Reaction score
I had the exact problem that you are describing recently. It turned out to be the alternator bearing. It idle you heard a whine, when you accelerated it mostly went away.

Last edited:

Kvou812

Reaction score
I have this problem... but it only happens at idle when the truck is warmed up and in park. Reving up the motor even a little or putting it in gear and it goes away. I only hear it inside the truck...just faintly, in fact most people probably wouldn't notice it.

OP
OP
G

golfpromt

Reaction score
I was thinking about the alternator. This noise is DISTINCT! You can hear hit inside the truck, outside the truck, inside the house and even down the street a little. It is really weird. It is not a sound that makes you cringe mechanically, such as brake pads that are totally worn and destroying the rotor. But rather, a "what the hell was that" kind of feeling.

When I first heard it in my old Explorer, I thought it was some sort of vacuum loss but there is not a loss in engine performance. Hence, my thinking that it was a bearing of some sort. It seems to becoming from the passenger side between the battery and the idle tensioner.

I thought it was just the noise you hear when you have a bad drive belt and tensioner but both have been replaced.

I wish I could post a video of it so everyone can hear it and see my astonishment.

Diamondtron24

Reaction score
I would look closely at the Alternator bearing. It sounds just like what i had going on. Hope you solve the problem!