Enterprise Rental for this wreck is a ........wait for it.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This time they gave me a '18 GMC arcadia- jet black. 193HP, 2.5L, 3.87 gears....this seems fairly nicely equipped but I haven't opened the glove comp to look for the sticker to see "the sheet" info.

Now understand that no matter how "objective" someone including me sounds; Every single facet of a vehicle is subject to personal likes/dislikes based on that persons life-experience so this is every bit a personal look.

Nice looking little truck & the paint is very shiny & has a bit of orange peal on the door/body panels but it does look sharp in the sun. Of course I'm getting a jet black car right at the wrong time of year with the yellow pollen for the next two weeks, or one week then the falling sap. .....anyway, it's very different from what we are used to driving. A bit smaller of course and it has a distinct "Japanese" feel to it. Not necessarily the interior b/c that's "American" but the ride which I'll get into below.

The display is one of those cartoonish types. Do the kids really like that? I haven't used it much yet. The seating is comfortable...well...the cushioning is comfortable(my commute is 46m ea way) but the fully elect seat doesn't allow the front to move at all,.....it is the pivot point, the fulcrum(remember that word?) for the rear to lower and raise. It's a cost/complexity saver and it would work but the rear just doesn't come up high enough for me. The rest of the seat...tilt/lumbar is all excellent with twitchy, fast motors. The dash is the dash...nicely laid out I suppose w/plenty of info w/fully analog gauges 2+ 4, save for a small box in the center that I find pretty useless so far. Radio, no Sirius....and the sound quality really sucks...BADLY and I'm half-deaf! No matter how I reset it with it's "equalizer", all it does is raise or lower the presence the tinny med's and hi's. I don't think I have anything special in my truck...Sony for a '17 lmted? I think the upgrade was to Bose but you guys will know better than I but it sure sounds worlds better than this...worlds!

As is typical when a manufacturer chooses to install a "smaller" engine for a 4000 lb vehicle...they gear it so it "feels" peppy, this with 3.87. It handles well enough for how I'm driving it but with only 100-110 miles driven so far, it's too early to really comment but overall, it feels like Kerry's Rogue. That's what I meant about a Japanese feel to it....the entire drivetrain feels right out of a Honda. This is not a bad thing if it matches it in reliability but it's what I refer to as a "buzzbox"....they buzz when you make 'em go. Again, completely subjective but that's what you're getting...just know it and accept it before you buy one.

First time...Deer strike & they gave me a Santa Fe and I hated it.

Second time-Dump truck & they gave me a Sequoia which was very nice.

We'll reserve judgement on this truck since apparently I'll have it till the 3rd but getting it was a PITA...a first for Enterprise. Instead of the rental being at the repair facility, they arrive 20 minutes late to take me BACK 10 miles from where I had just come. What made it worse was the driver's first day & he was a Miami transplant so he had no idea where he was....he was a nice kid but when he began fumbling his phone while driving, I'll told him "I got this" and gave him directions.... lol.

jeff

Arcadia.jpg

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd rather have an expy. Especially a first generation.
I think my next vehicle, many years from now when my kids are grown, will be a f250 or 350.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never judge a car by one from the mass rental fleet. Totally different from the ones on the dealer lots. At least they used to be. Option packages that were not available to normal ones, etc. Cheapest interiors and engine options. Some rental companies keep a few nicely loaded cars for their loyal customers. Those are the ones to find on the used market. Good luck with the repairs!!

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
enterprise...glad to see its not just in east texas that they seem to fall flat
both times they were to meet us at the repair facility....never showed and we had to re-arrange and go to them an hr away.
then upon return they didnt want to meet us again...so we dropped it off and made nice...my insurance company of course regretted the bad experience...

seat sounds weird..especially for me at 6'3" and 250 lbs.

enjoy the little car

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never judge a car by one from the mass rental fleet. Totally different from the ones on the dealer lots. At least they used to be. Option packages that were not available to normal ones, etc. Cheapest interiors and engine options. Some rental companies keep a few nicely loaded cars for their loyal customers. Those are the ones to find on the used market. Good luck with the repairs!!
In general, the higher-end the vehicle is, the fewer "cheap" options it has, meaning that a $12,000 econo-box can be equipped with just enough functionality to make it legally driveable; that same vehicle can be optioned into a decent, well appointed $15,000 econo-box. At the other end of the spectrum, the 'cheapest' Caddy is still a whole lot more posh than the fully optioned econo-box. The Expys are not top dog, but they're near the top in price. So when you approach an Expy, Escalade, Denali, and the 'Burb on the former rental sales lot it will be nicely appointed, and most likely in better shape than the normal 'its a rental' used cars.

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like a very sporty vehicle. After having a 2012 Chevy traverse the sister vehicle to the Acadia I can definitely say they are night and day. I am surprised that the speakers sound bad, the Bose speakers in the traverse sounded pretty good for a little economy family vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my 2014 Expy in 2015 from Enterprise Car Sales...very happy! I searched dealers for a 100 mile radius and nothing came close to what I wanted (darker color, full tow, leather, below 20K). Enterprise came thru. Inspection revealed what looked like an acid spill of some kind on back seat carpet...they replaced entire carpet throughout. Rock chip on pass side...they replaced windshield. They did a 120 point inspection, changed oil/filter, washed, waxed. She's been running strong ever since!

But, crap...I had to replace a tail light bulb...last week.

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The radio in the Arcadia sounded great...on very low sound levels but it began to distort badly when you turned it up to moderate levels.

I was able to drop off the rental and pick up my truck yesterday. It was a fantastic experience because most of the time, a rental is nicer & newer than the car we may drive....causing a letdown effect when you have to go back to your old car.

This time, I climbed out of a 22K mile '18 Arcadia and into a 62K '17 Expy and the difference my friends, was night and day.....gone was the buzzing engine, ultra-short tranny gears and "Sport-tuned" ie` HARD ride............

Yes, my expy is worlds nicer....and it felt good to get it back......and yes, this sound system is much better to me.

jeff