2019 Expedition Max at the Ford Dealer for 4th time for warranty work. A rental is disallowed according to the dealer....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasHeat

Reaction score
My 2019 is back in the shop to get the catalytic converter totally replaced and the transmission assessed as it is skipping 4th gear almost every time I accelerate. It has been there a week. Today I was told that it would be at least 2 weeks before it will even be evaluated for the transmission. It is still under 60,000 miles, so covered under the power train warranty. Per the service member liaison, Ford does not cover a rental vehicle unless you have also purchased an extended warranty. I have owned Fords for 30 years and this has never been the case, but I am wondering if this is a change that others have dealt with.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2019 is back in the shop to get the catalytic converter totally replaced and the transmission assessed as it is skipping 4th gear almost every time I accelerate. It has been there a week. Today I was told that it would be at least 2 weeks before it will even be evaluated for the transmission. It is still under 60,000 miles, so covered under the power train warranty. Per the service member liaison, Ford does not cover a rental vehicle unless you have also purchased an extended warranty. I have owned Fords for 30 years and this has never been the case, but I am wondering if this is a change that others have dealt with.

Read your vehicle warranty folder(s). Rental coverage is not provided for warranty repairs (or power train repairs).

What Ford vehicles did you purchase in the past 30 years that included rental car coverage for warranty repairs (not a service contract)?

OP
OP
T

TexasHeat

Reaction score
I've had a Ford Ranger, Ford Explorer, F-250, Expedition, Expedition EL and now the Expedition Max. Not all have needed warrant repair, but 3 have. For all of those I was able to get a rental car (from Enterprise) at minimal or no cost. I have never had a Ford need this much warrant repair, it will likely be my last.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had a Ford Ranger, Ford Explorer, F-250, Expedition, Expedition EL and now the Expedition Max. Not all have needed warrant repair, but 3 have. For all of those I was able to get a rental car (from Enterprise) at minimal or no cost. I have never had a Ford need this much warrant repair, it will likely be my last.
Most likely they were loaners and up to dealer's courtesy.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its normal for the tranny to go str8 from 3 to 5 skipping 4th when accelerating. Does it never go into 4th no matter what speed u are accelerating in?

Also, I have a extended Ford service plan with the 10 day max "free rental" while vehicle is in for repairs. The rental is built into the ESP pricing so its not really a free/loaner. If the vehicle is at the dealer longer than 10 days I have to pay for a rental at regular rental faily prices. No dealer around my way ever gives free loaners even with factory warranty or extended plans.

I agree with you tho about Ford overall quality and experience these days at the Ford Dealers. I am also never buying another Ford. Unless its a Hellava deal and I feel like I bent the dealer over in the deal...

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its normal for the tranny to go str8 from 3 to 5 skipping 4th when accelerating. Does it never go into 4th no matter what speed u are accelerating in?

Also, I have a extended Ford service plan with the 10 day max "free rental" while vehicle is in for repairs. The rental is built into the ESP pricing so its not really a free/loaner. If the vehicle is at the dealer longer than 10 days I have to pay for a rental at regular rental faily prices. No dealer around my way ever gives free loaners even with factory warranty or extended plans.

I agree with you tho about Ford overall quality and experience these days at the Ford Dealers. I am also never buying another Ford. Unless its a Hellava deal and I feel like I bent the dealer over in the deal...
This is where I get so frustrated. There's no reason Ford stock should be doing well right now, with the labor issues, losses on all EV's, quality control issues, etc. More people need to be raising H-e-hockey sticks. If there's one time social media should be good for something, this company is letting us all down. they are charging now the same price for their vehicles as the Toyota's, Lexus's, Infiniti's, etc. and yet their customer service is worse than a Kia. I don't get it. We recently took my wifes out of warranty Acura in for some service and got better service than I've ever had with this thing, even in the first 10k miles and it cost 35k more than I paid for her Acura.

OP
OP
T

TexasHeat

Reaction score
Update-- my normal dealer was sold recently, so it appears that the new owners do not pay for rentals or offer loaners the way the previous owner did. They are also taking MUCH longer to evaluate and repair vehicles.

OP
OP
T

TexasHeat

Reaction score

Yeah-- I'm out after this Ford. Trying to decide if I will sell now or buy the extended warranty.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update-- my normal dealer was sold recently, so it appears that the new owners do not pay for rentals or offer loaners the way the previous owner did. They are also taking MUCH longer to evaluate and repair vehicles.
this is probably one of the most frustrating problems I've had with Ford. Things fail, I get it (granted, the first 18mo of owning mine this thing failed a crap ton), but it's how the mfr and dealers deal with the issues that matters. I could by a $40k acura, infinity, c class, etc and pretty much be guaranteed a decent service experience and almost always a loaner (usually nicer than the car i brought in for service to entice me to buy a better one). Or, I could buy a vehicle worth 2x that and not have the same service experience. It's painful and sad.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire