Erratic Lane Centering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Infra246

Reaction score
I was just using mine tonight and I noticed it was wanting to pull slightly to the right and I feel like I have to put pressure on tbe steering to the left to keep it straight. My wife said it must be the slant on the highway but it seems to me like the alignment is off. I ended up turning it off and found it easier to steer as I didn't have to put as much pressure on the steering wheel to keep it straight. I'm still waiting for replacements tires so when I go in for that I will mention to check the alignment.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for replacements tires so when I go in for that I will mention to check the alignment.
Why ask directly for the alignment? Wouldn’t it be better to explain the issue that it pulls to the right while using lane centering? There is a TSB about software updates for the driver assist on recent models. Although it doesn’t mention your issue directly, it could be the reason as well.

Thread 'TSB 22-2295 - 2022 Expedition/Navigator built on or before 13-May-2022 + Other Models - Various Driver Assistance Feature Concerns And/Or IPMA DTCs'
https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...ance-feature-concerns-and-or-ipma-dtcs.51333/

Infra246

Reaction score
Yes, I would preface the request for alignment with explaining the lane centering issue, didn't feel the need to explain the details of my plans for the conversation with the service dept. :)

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I have always felt like this feature is not worth it. My Toyota Sienna does it way more gently and manages the road way better. I find the Ford exhausting and turn it off. I feel like they did that intentionally to make it so you would consider blue cruise. My family gets freaked out whenever it kicks in because it is so abrupt. I guess it hasn't changed much since 19 cause that is always how mine feels.

aryantes

Reaction score
Yes, I would preface the request for alignment with explaining the lane centering issue, didn't feel the need to explain the details of my plans for the conversation with the service dept. :)
I think the point was to allow them to tell you that alignment is a possible cause, as opposed to volunteering the solution yourself, which may or may not be the correct one.

I haven't noticed anything weird on my 2022 yet but I'm going to be paying attention now hehe.

ExAustin

Reaction score
I've noticed a similar behavior on my new '22 Timberline that I've had for ~6 weeks. Mine doesn't kick out of autopilot centering mode, but it does tend to "hunt" left and right a bit too much for my taste (on perfectly smooth straight highway with good painted lines). Mine isn't too bad, but it is annoying that I have to "fight" it a bit to keep the vehicle from "wagging" down the road. I also noticed that it does not appear to have this behavior going around smooth curves at highway speed, as the steering is very smooth and lane centering is good. I've heard Teslas have a similar "hunting" problem going around curves, but are better on straights. I suspect that the Ford tracking filter/algorithm is a bit underdamped, or that it is not weighting the input from the forward camera quite enough (assuming it is even using the forward-looking camera). Too bad Ford doesn't have a way for customers to provide user feedback on their autopilot algorithm. I think with a few minor refinements, it could be a very good system. I also think their left/right lane biasing algorithm needs some refinement. Hopefully it will improve with a future software update..

OP
OP
R

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've noticed a similar behavior on my new '22 Timberline that I've had for ~6 weeks. Mine doesn't kick out of autopilot centering mode, but it does tend to "hunt" left and right a bit too much for my taste (on perfectly smooth straight highway with good painted lines). Mine isn't too bad, but it is annoying that I have to "fight" it a bit to keep the vehicle from "wagging" down the road. I also noticed that it does not appear to have this behavior going around smooth curves at highway speed, as the steering is very smooth and lane centering is good. I've heard Teslas have a similar "hunting" problem going around curves, but are better on straights. I suspect that the Ford tracking filter/algorithm is a bit underdamped, or that it is not weighting the input from the forward camera quite enough (assuming it is even using the forward-looking camera). Too bad Ford doesn't have a way for customers to provide user feedback on their autopilot algorithm. I think with a few minor refinements, it could be a very good system. I also think their left/right lane biasing algorithm needs some refinement. Hopefully it will improve with a future software update..

Sounds like your issue is very similar to mine. It's hunting for "center", but seems to be fighting itself.