Adaptive cruise without lane centering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are a few older threads about this, but nothing within the last 6 months or so, so I will start a new one.

2023 Limited with the 15" screen, I am looking for a way to turn off the lane centering entirely (both alert and assist) while using the ACC. I like having the truck manage speed and distance from the vehicle I am following, and it seems to do that very well especially for cruising on interstates when set to maximum distance. However, the stick shaker is extremely irritating and when it is raining the assist is very hard to tell the difference between the car centering me in the lane and the car hydroplaning, so I do not want that at all - especially as long as I am running the factory Grabber sliders. Has anyone found a way to turn the alert/assist both off?

More information - I do use this while towing, and I think all the small corrections assist applies becomes dangerous, - especially when it is windy or I am passing trucks with 7000 pounds behind the Expy. And the constant shake-shake-shake-pause-repeat is too much to deal with after a few hours. I am almost ready to open the steering wheel and cut the offset weight out of the shaker...

Last edited:

Samantha1

Reaction score
My 2023 XLT (smaller screen) has a button on the left spoke of the steering wheel (middle button on the right) that turns off the lane centering. The adaptive cruise is controlled separately.
Samantha

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To change the Alert vs Aid settings:
Features
Driver assistance
Lane keeping system
Mode

To turn it on and off use this button like Samantha said:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230828-195211.png
    Screenshot_20230828-195211.png
    274.3 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
JohnSC

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2023 XLT (smaller screen) has a button on the left spoke of the steering wheel (middle button on the right) that turns off the lane centering. The adaptive cruise is controlled separately.
Samantha
OK so that’s embarrassing. 8000 miles and I never found that.

Thanks Samantha.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes the button on the wheel will either "Enable Vibration or Centering" depending on the settings for Assist and then when in Cruise the Cruise settings.
Thought it was neat a first but its silly and seems to favor one side or the other depending on the road lines.

I am all for Auto Brake (kid runs out in the street) and those safety features, but when it comes to self driving and lane centering are we that far gone as humans where the task of driving a car is too much? Some cases where a trailer and high wind but on a regular basis?

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes the button on the wheel will either "Enable Vibration or Centering" depending on the settings for Assist and then when in Cruise the Cruise settings.
Thought it was neat a first but its silly and seems to favor one side or the other depending on the road lines.

I am all for Auto Brake (kid runs out in the street) and those safety features, but when it comes to self driving and lane centering are we that far gone as humans where the task of driving a car is too much? Some cases where a trailer and high wind but on a regular basis?
You almost don’t have a choice with the 15.5” screen. Changing the fan on hvac requires a few clicks and a steady hand.

PhoenixRizez

Reaction score
My normal long-distance highway driving is with adaptive cruise on, but WITHOUT lane centering on. The only time I use lane centering is if I’m eating, so I only have to touch the wheel once every 20-30 seconds. But as soon as I’m done I turn it back off.

On our first trip, we used the lane centering a LOT and it made my wife sick. We realized the wheel just slightly (almost unnoticeable to the driver) swerves back and forth within the lane, like a little kid pretending to drive and moving the wheel back and forth constantly. Even though the back and forth wobble was VERY slight, it felt extreme to my wife in the passenger seat who is prone to motion sickness. At first we just thought the Expy suspension swayed, but once we realized it was the lane-centering making her nauseous, I stopped using it and she’s been fine ever since as long as it’s off.

Has anyone else noticed this issue while using the lane centering with adaptive cruise? And for anyone with Blue Cruise, does it do the same thing while auto-piloting?

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And for anyone with Blue Cruise, does it do the same thing while auto-piloting?

It's exactly the same, except I don't have to apply torque to the steering wheel every 20 seconds. I'll say, though, that it doesn't seem to bother anyone in my immediate family.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My normal long-distance highway driving is with adaptive cruise on, but WITHOUT lane centering on. The only time I use lane centering is if I’m eating, so I only have to touch the wheel once every 20-30 seconds. But as soon as I’m done I turn it back off.

On our first trip, we used the lane centering a LOT and it made my wife sick. We realized the wheel just slightly (almost unnoticeable to the driver) swerves back and forth within the lane, like a little kid pretending to drive and moving the wheel back and forth constantly. Even though the back and forth wobble was VERY slight, it felt extreme to my wife in the passenger seat who is prone to motion sickness. At first we just thought the Expy suspension swayed, but once we realized it was the lane-centering making her nauseous, I stopped using it and she’s been fine ever since as long as it’s off.

Has anyone else noticed this issue while using the lane centering with adaptive cruise? And for anyone with Blue Cruise, does it do the same thing while auto-piloting?

I have only experienced this a few times but 99% of the time it's smooth. Might need to have the dealership recalibrate the cameras, etc.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Samantha
Which button is it? The button I have only turns on/off adaptive cruise completely (see attachement). Or does that toggle all the features only when the cruise is already on? I have to turn off lane centering in the settings screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-30 120501.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-30 120501.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire