Excessive Brake Dust - 4th Gen with Tow Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie Lohr

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition with the Tow Package. From day one it has generated a TON of brake dust. I thought it might settle down after a few thousand miles, but it hasn't. It has 7k miles on it now and I can't drive it two days after a wash without being able to run my fingers on the back and make a visible line. I had it in for warranty work and they check the brakes out and said everything was normal. Below are some pictures for reference (after one day of driving like my grandmother).

image2.jpeg image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever owned an Expedition previously? I’ve never been able to keep the back clean on either of mine for more than one day. It all whips around and settles there.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats just daily dust, EVERYTHING gathers on the back end of mine as well.

OP
OP
C

Charlie Lohr

Reaction score
Interesting. I keep the expedition in a garage. Do you think it is just dirt from driving? There is also a lot of build up on the rims even after a fresh wash then just a day or two of driving.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. I keep the expedition in a garage. Do you think it is just dirt from driving? There is also a lot of build up on the rims even after a fresh wash then just a day or two of driving.

Absolutely. If I drive down a gravel driveway, I can see the rear window collecting all the dust. The cars clean, but the back end is dusted.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t have it on my wheels but my rear hatch has collected grass clippings... the rear is a dirt magnet thanks to the aerodynamic properties, I’m sure someone can explain the scientific reasons.

Plati

Reaction score
I don’t have it on my wheels but my rear hatch has collected grass clippings... the rear is a dirt magnet thanks to the aerodynamic properties, I’m sure someone can explain the scientific reasons.
Gravitational waves focus the spatial inertia of microscopic particulates into a vortex pattern via aerodynamic vectors and surface tension of rain droplets under paranormal influences using nuclear derivatives causing crud to build up on rear hatch based on guidance from the Ouija board.

I dont think that's brake dust either.

scotthere

Reaction score
Effectively pushing a 4X8 sheet of plywood at 65 MPH pushes a column of air approximately the volume of the vehicle in front of it at 60 Miles/Hour / 5280 ft/mile x 1hr/3600 seconds = 88 feet/second, the expedition is ~17 feet long x 88ft/sec x 4 x 8 = 47,872 cubic feet of air displaced per second. that is the volume a swimming pool 3 ft deep x100 yards long x 53 ft wide. Basically a 6 lane Olympic swimming pool volume every second. That sucks every thing off the road and deposits it on the back of the Beast.