Excessive brake wear - 2018 Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FarrahtheFord

Reaction score
Good morning. Have any of you had excessive brake wear on your Max? My 2018 is in the shop now and dealer is telling me that my pads and rotors need replaced. I got 34,000 miles on them. Prior to that I got about 50,000. This is for the front. I had to replace the rear around 43,000. Thanks

Oberst Oswald

Reaction score
I have 16000 miles on my 2018 and dealer says I need my rear brakes replaced at next oil change which will be at around 20000 miles. Hopefully rotors will be OK but knowing dealers probably will insist they be changed also. Surprising because I only pulled a small utility trailer a few times.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems the rear brake wear is often from running the adaptive cruise control. Every time it thinks to slow down a little, it slams on the rear brakes and then hammers the throttle again. If you run that, it could be why your rears are worn early. The fronts, If the rotors are warped, its typically from overheating them on long braking pulls and cooling them improperly.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 15 EL and the factory brakes were crap. Warping and wear and I do not tow or drive the vehicle hard. It is just a heavy vehicle. Was at the dealer at 10k and 20k miles.

I bought a powerstop slotted and drilled kit and had my mechanic install and never had a brake problem or warping after that.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My rear brake pads were almost gone after 20k miles and the front pads were still in the 6 mm.

Kim Tidrow

Reaction score
2020 limited max, HD trailer tow 4x4, oil change at 17000 miles and told rear brakes will be needing attention. 20000 miles rear brakes ate the rotors needing replacement. Dealer said they knew of no issues with this.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 Expedition needed rear pad replacement at 29k miles, rotors were fine. My truck now has 60k miles, the front pads still have 5mm left. Dealer has not commented about rears needing replaced again. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that needed rear brakes before fronts. The rear pads replaced by my local Ford dealer came with lifetime warranty. So, the next time around the pads will be no charge, obviously labor not included.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 Expedition needed rear pad replacement at 29k miles, rotors were fine. My truck now has 60k miles, the front pads still have 5mm left. Dealer has not commented about rears needing replaced again. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that needed rear brakes before fronts. The rear pads replaced by my local Ford dealer came with lifetime warranty. So, the next time around the pads will be no charge, obviously labor not included.
The lifetime pad is one of the biggest scam from the dealer. The pads are around $60 but they will charge you more than $100 labor when you bring your Expedition back. I learned this lesson with my Mazda. The rear pads are easy to change out yourself after you put EPB in maintenance mode. I did my 2019 rear pads few months ago and took me like 30 minutes.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All of my F150s required rears before fronts.
I'd always do rotors with new pads or turn the rotors if possible.

H20addict

Reaction score
I just replaced the rear pads on my '18 F150 with 41k on them. Do yourself a favor, save a boat load of money and DIY. It is a very easy fix with simple garage tools and a quick video on YouTube.

While you're at it, look into some aftermarket pads with better wear characteristics. I went with Powerstop Z36 Truck/Tow pads.