Exhaust Manifold Bolts Or Studs ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I plan to buy a new exhaust man but trying to decide what would be better and make the job installing it easier. The manifold has rust issues.i proceeded to try and remove the badly rusted studs that are in there.i managed to beat a smaller size socket on them and got most of them broke loose,which really surprised me.i didn't snap any off but there are a few the nut rounded off and the back 2 on passenger side already busted off.

But anyway trying to decide if i should get some stainless steel studs or stainless steel bolts ???

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know in a marine environment we don't mix stainless and aluminum due to potential galvanic action of metal corrosion. While you are talking bolts to cast aluminum I think I would still stick with carbon steel studs in the heads. I didn't have any issues getting my studs out. Most came right out execpt for the 3 that broke off due to rust.